Padre Burgos or APO Reef or APO Island or some place else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to spend 4 to 7 days or so diving. I have been to several places in Philippines. Padre Burgos, APO Reef and APO Island are just a few of the places I have *not* been. What are the Pros and Cons of each place based on traveling there and the diving in general?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Apo Island has some of the most beautiful coral formations I've seen anywhere in the world, as well as some HUGE turtles. There appeared to be some kind of hotel/resort on the island, but I know nothing about it; we dove from Atlantis, on Negros, and came across on a boat. The advantage of doing that was that we got to mix muck diving with gorgeous reefs, but that isn't an advantage if you don't like muck diving.

Southern Leyte is fantastic diving. Some of the healthiest reefs I have seen in the ppines. Very good viz and very varied diving. Whale sharks nov-mar, muck diving at little lembeh and ghost town sites, napantau walls are very healthy, Limasawa Island has excellent coral slopes and the general reef along the coast is excellent. Padre Burgos pier offers world class night diving. V cheap. Overall u get muck macro reef and whale sharks.

Of those three, have only been to Apo Island (but that, repeatedly). Getting there takes about an hour by road from Dumaguete and another half hour or so on a small boat. Rough weather can make that crossing bouncy and damp, but the captains are skilled. There are a couple of rustic resorts to choose from, and homestays. Electricity, for everyone, goes off at 9:30 pm and during part of the day. Your choice: get a bit warm under the mosquito nets, or get a breeze and bites. Dipper baths. Decent food at Liberty's Lodge. Friendly backpacker vibe. Lots of books to look up what you've seen underwater. When not diving, there are a few walks / climbs you can do, but it is a pretty small island it must be said. The beach ladies can be insistent that you really, really need more sarongs and t-shirts, but by this point they believe me when I say I will just buy once, on the last day.

Have only used Paul's Diving (associated with Liberty's Lodge). When we first went there Mario Pascobello, who now has his own homestay and dive op, was our very able teacher, so I can vouch for him too. Dive guides are enthusiastic, patient and client-oriented. Four dives a day quite doable. You can end most dives puddling around in the shallows till your air gives out. Night dives walking in off Chapel Beach are easy.

Aquarium-effect fish life; guaranteed turtles; schooling jacks; nudibranchs; cuttlefish; not particularly a muck/macro destination. The odd shark or barracuda. All kinds of healthy coral. A typhoon a few years back battered Sanctuary, the formerly fabulous snorkelling area at the other end of the island from the resorts, and I don't know when you'll be able to go back there. The other sites around the island all have their particular attractions. Some can be fast drift dives, others extremely relaxed.

I've been to all 3 places so I will share what I know. As FT and TSandM pointed out, Apo Island is usually done as a day trip from Dauin (near Dumaguete). Very nice healthy reef. Personally I prefer the muck diving at Dauin, but Apo Island is a nice change of pace from that if you like corals. Although the corals there are very nice, I would say they are on par with many other places in the Philippines. There are some rustic resorts on Apo, but for me the island is too small and rustic to warrant a long stay there.

Apo Reef is very nice, sort of a mini-Tubataha, but it is quite remote. I did it as a long day trip from Club Paradise, on the Northern side of Busuanga Island (Northern Palawan). If you happen to be in Coron (the main town in Busuanga), or at Club Paradise, it is definitely worth a day trip if you can arrange it. It will be weather-dependant and also the operator will need a certain minimum number of divers to cover the fuel costs. There are no accommodations at Apo Reef. I think it is also possible to do it as a day trip from Mindoro, or from the live aboard Rags II, you can search the forum to find more info about that option.

Padre Burgos in Southern Leyte is really the only proper dive-destination of the 3 places you mentioned (the two Apos I would consider dive sites rather than proper dive-destinations).

Southern Leyte is great! Definitely off the beaten track, it takes a little bit of extra time to get there, but there are several sites with very healthy corals, and also some great muck-diving sites as others have mentioned. Diving and accommodation are very economical. There are only a handful of operators there, I stayed with Sogod Bay Dive Resort and I quite liked them, but I am sure the others are good also. I would love to spend another week there, and hope to go back there soon!

Again, Apo Island and Apo Reef are more likely done as day trips due to very limited and no accommodations respectively. They are worth a day trip if you happen to be in Dauin (for Apo Island) or Busuanga (for Apo Reef).

Thank you all for your input. I am leaning toward Sogod right now on this coming trip. I do want to go to APO Reef, maybe next trip? I wish I knew about the day trips from Coron to APO Reef last year. I was in Coron for diving there and honestly I was not very impressed. I guess I am more interested in reef diving or I did not see the best of Coron?

Coron is good for shipwrecks and for some unusual dives like Barracuda Lake. For corals and muck, not so much. I guess it depends what you like.

If you have already been to Anilao, Puerto Galera, Dumaguete and Malapascua, then definitely give Southern Leyte a try, you will like it.

Coron is good for shipwrecks and for some unusual dives like Barracuda Lake. For corals and muck, not so much. I guess it depends what you like.

If you have already been to Anilao, Puerto Galera, Dumaguete and Malapascua, then definitely give Southern Leyte a try, you will like it.

I have not been to Malapascua yet but have been to Anilao, Puerto Galera, Dumaguete and other places as well. Sogod is on the short list. Tubataha and APO Reef I have not been to either but I will visit them on another trip. I hear Sogod is pretty nice so I think this is the next place to spend time at. What can I expect to see there in Sogod? Reef fish, corals, schooling fish?

I have not been to Malapascua yet but have been to Anilao, Puerto Galera, Dumaguete and other places as well. Sogod is on the short list. Tubataha and APO Reef I have not been to either but I will visit them on another trip. I hear Sogod is pretty nice so I think this is the next place to spend time at. What can I expect to see there in Sogod? Reef fish, corals, schooling fish?

Here are my photos from Southern Leyte: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151769725916828.1073741852.622241827&type=1&l=ad5a8aa974
I hope that my pictures speak louder than words! :wink:

We dive Dauin last in January, and will stay for 2 weeks next..Found both the muck diving along the beach, and the Apo island dives very nice, and will try to hone our photo skills this time.... And, maybe take some other day trips while we're there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom