Diving in Brampton [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Diving in Brampton

Sponsored Link
Elevatorguy2
April 16th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Last spring a local club did a clean up of Professors Lake in the Brampton area. I was wondering if anyone knew which club this was and if and when they are holding the clean up again.
Thanks

boney
April 16th, 2004, 05:01 PM
I didn't know you could dive anywhere in Brampton...
Whats that lake like??? Anything to see???

uwhooligan
April 16th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I hear its scheduled for May 8th. Happy Divers is organizing it

Last spring a local club did a clean up of Professors Lake in the Brampton area. I was wondering if anyone knew which club this was and if and when they are holding the clean up again.
Thanks

M.T.
April 16th, 2004, 11:47 PM
The dive at proffesors lake in Brampton is supposed to be may8th, the shop is at happydivers.ca and it was listed on ther calender as a clean up dive.
The lake should be a great spot to dive , i used to be a lifeguard ther for several years before becoming a diver,it's an old quarry that floded and they turned it in to a recreation center and beach, there is some old heavey equipment at the bottom, and the peel police train ther fairly often.
it's got it's own web site i think it's www.professorslake.ca ???? :06:

Brian

uwhooligan
April 16th, 2004, 11:47 PM
I didn't know you could dive anywhere in Brampton...
Whats that lake like??? Anything to see???

Its a flooded quarry surrounded by houses with a recreation centre . And is the only known documented lake in canada to have a Piranha in it.

d33ps1x
April 17th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I don't think I would swim in Professor's "LAKE" if you paid me but have fun. You can catch lil' crayfish in there. Never been bit by a piranha though. They tend to not survive winters so well.

While you're at it you should see if they'll let you go in Heart Lake too! Round out a good day of bio-hazard diving.

Groundhog246
April 17th, 2004, 11:08 PM
The url is http://www.professorslake.com/index.htm I don't expect the water quality would be much different than any other smaller man made lake. Limited water turn over and lots of ducks/geese.

I too have never been bitten by a Piranha, even when I've had my hands inside their tank to clean it. The "viscious" piranha is another Hollywood fiction. The only thing I've ever seen a piranha bite is another fish (including other piranha). They do not strip cattle, etc crossing rivers, the only cow they'll strip is the dead one that's been floating a while. I've spoken with people who collect wild fish for the aquarium hobby, who have waded and swam in rivers full of them and I've seen their photos of kids swimming and playing in those same rivers. I will agree that they'd have a rough go of a Canadian winter though.

SoScuba
April 18th, 2004, 09:57 PM
I e-mailed the rec center there enquiring about the water quality and if it is checked for safety for swimming. Apaarantly the city monitors the water quality continuously through the summer. From what ive been told so far, diving is only permitted for a specific purpose like the cleanup that will be happening on May 8 through Happy Divers Den in Brampton. It seems that any other diving is not permitted here. I am not really sure why....yet. The depth is about 50 feet and if its clean it could be a potential site for OW checkouts. Need to dig a little deeper!

d33ps1x
April 18th, 2004, 10:14 PM
From what ive been told so far, diving is only permitted for a specific purpose like the cleanup that will be happening on May 8 through Happy Divers Den in Brampton.

Hmm. I think we need to start a Koi preservation and research project. After all the study of the Koi is...err...critical to the health of Professor's Lake...umm..yah.

uwhooligan
April 19th, 2004, 08:38 AM
It seems that any other diving is not permitted here. I am not really sure why....yet. The depth is about 50 feet and if its clean it could be a potential site for OW checkouts. Need to dig a little deeper!

Im willing to bet its the same official excuse as to why you cant swim outside the swimming zone. Lawsuits or the fear of them. Ever since the kid sued the city for not having a big enough fence to stop him from riding his dirtbike where he wasnt supposed to be, Brampton errs very much on side of caution.

Silverback
April 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM
The group was Happy Divers Den http://www.happydivers.ca/

I believe they're doing it again this year. Check their site in the schedule section.

d33ps1x
April 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Im willing to bet its the same official excuse as to why you cant swim outside the swimming zone. Lawsuits or the fear of them. Ever since the kid sued the city for not having a big enough fence to stop him from riding his dirtbike where he wasnt supposed to be, Brampton errs very much on side of caution.

They already filled in the best quarry in Brampton when they built the 410.

Used to be a lot of dirtbiking going on there.

StingRob
April 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM
It looks like one of the BBQ places for a weekend... not sure how piranha would survive Canadian winters??

Safe Diving

uwhooligan
April 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM
It looks like one of the BBQ places for a weekend... not sure how piranha would survive Canadian winters??

Safe Diving

It didnt survive. Someone evidently released one into the lake and someone else caught it fishing. Then they had to check all the fish in the lake to make sure it was the only one which I believe they did by using an electric current to stun the fish, which are then supposed to float to the surface . I cant remember exactly when it was but was 5-6 years ago I think.

Groundhog246
April 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Then they had to check all the fish in the lake to make sure it was the only one which I believe they did by using an electric current to stun the fish, which are then supposed to float to the surface.
Another government over reaction. You could put a dozen piranha in there and nothing untoward would happen and they'd all be dead (including any fry) by next spring. Koi and goldfish on the other hand, are a species of carp and can live and propogate in our cold water. They will compete with our native fish for food, spawning areas, etc upsetting the natural balance and displacing native species. They should be removed from any location where they might escape into our streams, rivers and lakes. However, since there hasn't been a Hollywood movie portraying Koi as "killers", the powers that be will sit on their hands and do nada.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1