Moulded Sole boots and fin issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up a new pair of moulded sole boots and have a slight issue now with my existing fins - they do not fit?!

The boots are roughly the same size as my older non-moulded sole boots (when measured side by side, top to bottom) but they will not go into the foot pocket of the fins. If I force them in without my foot inside they fit all the way to the front like they are supposed to but with my foot inside the lower lip of the fin pocket is roughly at midsole of my foot. Since this can cause cramping in the foot/legs and is not the most confortable, I need to make them fit.

Any suggestions in 'stretching' or 'shrinking' things, or does this mean that I either need to get larger fins or get non moulded boots?

I have wide feet and have the same problem with molded sole boots as well as dry suit boots. Larger fins are usually needed unless you stick with non-molded sole boots.

Thanks, but the last thing I want to do now is have to get new fins as well. Is there any other way?

I have recently purchased some new boots and ran into the same problem. A little lube on the inside of the foot pocket was the cure. I used KY Jelly, just a little was all it took. Fin removal took a hard tug, but it wasn't too bad.

KY Jelly eh? I can just see the people's faces as you pull out the tube of jelly as everybody is gearing up into their suits, in compromising positions - LOL!!!

But isn't KY water soluble? So that would mean that the removal could be a pain as well? What about Vaseline/petroleum jelly? Would that work?

The thing about the Ky being water soluble might indeed make removal difficult, in my case it wasn't bad. If you are going to try it, make sure it is somewhere you can deal with the fins not coming off easily. The problem with Vaseline is that it isn't water soluble and will get all over everything.

"I just picked up a new pair of moulded sole boots and have a slight issue now with my existing fins - they do not fit?!"

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you take your fins with you when you went to try on the new boots?

Aqua Ho:
But isn't KY water soluble? So that would mean that the removal could be a pain as well? What about Vaseline/petroleum jelly? Would that work?

You don't want to use one petroleum product on another. Ever tried to carry gas in a styrofoam cup? Vaseline will degrade the neoprene and rubber over time. It would destroy the neoprene a lot faster though.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom