Fin Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjpell

Contributor
Reaction score
Grand Rapids, Michigan / Portland, Oregon / Ft. La
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have a few questions concerning fin boots. First of all how many kinds are there, molded soles and just booties right? I need to get a pair of fins for my open water in two weeks and your supposed to get the boots first right!?! Anyway I was going to get some Apollo bio fins but wondered what is a good brand for rubber soled boots? I not worried about price, but I think for the colder water here in the great lakes that a 5 or 7 mil would be best, also I liked having the rubber bottoms on the boots I used in scuba class, better traction and feel great on the sole of the foot, so I kinda lean towards rubber bottoms. Your suggestions and comments are appreciated, even if you just post what boot type you are using. Thanks again.

-=ben

I would suggest buying the booties and fins as a package, at the same time. You have to try them both on. Comfort is number one.

Of course max propulsion with minimum effort is pretty cool too. I took every fin at the dive shop, jumped in the pool and gave them all a test run.

so what fin did you end up buying? All I used in class were splits and they were great. I have a old pair of turtles that I used back in the day and I like them a ton too. I don't know about using different styles of kicks yet, I have not had the chance to experiment with that. Thanks.

I ended up with Twin Jets but we're all very different and what worked best for me might not work best for you. I had great control with them, they were very efficient and comfortable. I also timed myself using the clock on the pool wall. I used my normal kick and did not try to go faster with one fin over another. They tied for fastest.

When it came to the final two I put one of each on and swam around goofing off with my wife for about an hour. The Twin Jet was the most comfortable for me. But as I said, we're all different.

in my opinion you can not go wrong with the turtles you already have .just take them with you when you by your boots

derrick

I use Apollo Bio fins and wear Henderson Octo booties. Mine are low top 2ml but they also come in high top 5 and 7ml. what I like most about them is the hard rubber sole, it's like a tennis shoe. Great for walking on rock ground and good traction on boat decks.

Take your fins with, when you hit the shop for boots. Try a few different boots. The soles vary quite a bit in thickness and rigidity depending on brand and style.. I have some Hendersons with really thick bottoms that pretty much cover the sole and then some around the edges.. Pretty nifty in rocky situations.. Ultra Gripper Zippers I think is what they were called.. Nice all around boot.. Have some Parkways too with a much thinner sole. They pretty much sit in the bag most of the time. Maybe I'll ebay 'em..
Happy Hunting..

Hendersons....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom