Edmunds park or Alki 5/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I was looking to do a bit of shore diving mid-week at either Edmunds underwater park or Alki. This would be my first visit to either of these locations, and I understand that tidal exchange is critical at these sites (i.e. be sure to dive the slack or a very low exchange). Since I am not that familiar with the area, what locations does one use to determine the exchange for these specific spots? Also, any additional salient information for a first timer to either one of these sites would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Edmonds is very current dependant and should probably be attempted for the first time with someone experienced with the Puget Sound Tidal exchanges. Current tables and corrections are not something you're going to pick up over the internet. The coves at Alki(Around the water taxi pier) in Elliott Bay are very protected sites that can be dove at any point in the curve. There are signs explaining the water taxi boundary and an underwater perimeter line that marks the "no dive" zone, don't get caught inside it. You should definately check out Northwest Diver for some local opinions and references, you might even find a dive buddy who can show you the sites personally. There's several Oregonians driving up every weekend.

Thanks for the info, CD! You seem to know your Puget Sound dive sites pretty well for a person hailing from Chicago's suburbs. There must be more to this story than meets the eye.

Because I will be staying in Bellevue (a fairly straight shot over to Elliot Bay) and will be by myself I think the coves sound like a good bet. I think I'll go give it a look-see.

Also, you mention that tables and corrections are not something I can pick up over the internet, but I dive tide critical sites in Oregon on a fairly regular basis where I get my tide data from the web. What piece of the puzzle am I missing for PS diving?

A very nice resource for current corrections in this case is Northwest Shore Dives by Stephen Fischnaller. If you are planning on doing much in the way of Puget Sound shore diving this book is indespensible. You can also use my XTide server at http://64.25.141.124 to make a custom tide/current table.

Joe

Alki ... or more specifically, Seacrest Park (since Alki also includes the Junkyard which is a current-sensitive site) ... is the place to dive on the 19th. Theoretically, you could dive Edmonds if you timed it just right ... around mid-day ... but the currents are fairly large on both sides of the slack, so I would not recommend it.

Go to the Forums section of the URL posted by Chris Doing, and post a query in the Buddy Finder section ... you will most likely find someone local who's willing to show you around (we have several regulars who dive on week-days in that forum).

As mentioned ... Cove 2 is very protected and you can dive it anytime. However, make sure you check out the signs and maps and please stay out of the restricted zone. We are in danger of losing that site because of frequent incursions by divers into the restricted area around the fishing pier and water taxi lane.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the excellent advice, everyone. I am going to give Seacrest Cove 2 a try. I will be sure to heed all of the posted restrictions-- thanks for the heads up on that. I may also drop an inquiry on the ND site to see if any locals are up for a mid-week dip.

Thanks again.

crab:
Also, you mention that tables and corrections are not something I can pick up over the internet, but I dive tide critical sites in Oregon on a fairly regular basis where I get my tide data from the web. What piece of the puzzle am I missing for PS diving?

NWD has a link to tide and current tables, if you're comfortable with the tables it's no problem. Just didn't want to encourage someone with no experience to try it.

I just moved out of the Seattle market, if you're looking for specific site corrections PM me or pick up Fischnaller's book mentioned by DM Joe.

if you're looking for specific site corrections PM me or pick up Fischnaller's book

Since I will be diving cove 2, it sounds like the exchange won't be an issue. I may PM you in the future for specific correction locations. I will also look at picking up a copy of the book. It sounds like a good resource. I just don't feel sufficiently comfortable with the local geography to know that I would be using the most appropriate correction for a given site. As an example, I know that if I want to dive the "crab hole" in Waldport, OR, I add 23 or 30 minutes (depending on high or low) to the south beach tide in Newport, OR. Get that one wrong, and a person might find themselves being rescued by a Hawaii search and rescue team after being ejected from the bay. If I was not familiar with the area, I wouldn't necessarily know that the crab hole was in Alsea Bay or that the bay was in Waldport, etc.. I guess my point is that dive site names don't always correspond neatly with tide table locations.

Fischnaller's book is highly reccommended then. Everything from parking and traffic conditions to which current guage you correct from is included in the book, it's a handy resource to have. I think you could dive Puget Sound for several years and not "outgrow" that book.

Cove 2 is great diving no question, if you get a chance to meet/dive with Bob (NWGrateful Diver) he can give you some more ideas. I consider myself lucky to have attended several dives that Bob had led/organized in the past, some fairly tricky current sensitive sights included. Have fun, dive safe.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom