Jet Fins: L vs XL Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to buy a pair of jet fins. My foot size is 9 1/2 which puts me in a large(which feels right with 3mil booties).

However, I remember a thread where someone mentioned that a large jet fin is noticeably smaller than an XL. According to the poster, this size difference also made a distinct performance difference where XL fins were superior to the L.

Have any other divers who've used both fins experienced this performance difference?

I would use the fin primarily in warm water. I plan on buying a drysuit in the future and assume I'll be buying another pair of larger fins. Also, the shop I was at did not have an XL in stock, so I was not able to check the fit.

If you will be going to a drysuit eventually it would appear that you will also eventually need the XL's for the larger dry suit boots. You might try a hard soled 7mil boot now and see how that works in the XL Jets. I did this moving from the XL to the XXL. I also am in a warm water climate, and the 7mil boots are not too warm (Hawaii - 80-84 degree water lately) I have 2 friends that wear soft soled size 10 boots with the XL Jets.

Also I found that wearing a hard soled boot was much more comfortable than the soft sole - better support and use of my whole leg for propulsion.

Hope that helps

Tim

My Dad wears a 10 and wears a Large, I wear a 12-13 and use the XL he could use mine he would just have to adjust the straps. I have not used them but I also bought a pair of XXL jets. I was planning on buying a drysuit (postponed right now) and using them. The foot pockets on them are huge. Thought about opening a dive shop out of them. So to answer your question, I think you would be fine in the size large jets.

I am also a 91/2 shoe size, however, I have wide feet. I wear 4E sneakers from Newbalance. I started with large Jets and my feet kept cramping. I had a hard time finding a boot to fit. When I finally did find one, I also had to buy XL Jets. My feet are happy now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom