Here is a Video I shot -- Advise sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I did an article for Spearboard Quarterly, and shot some underwater stuff. You can find the link to video here.

I used a red filter, but there is still so much green. This was a shallow dive so I was surprised colors didn't show better. We were diving in 70ft. I don't recall the water being that green, although you can certainly get into some very green water in the Gulf. Any suggestions on balancing the colors better. I assume artifical lighting would help a lot, but when videoing spearfishing, you have to keep some distance and light probably wouldn't help much.

tampascott:
II used a red filter, but there is still so much green. This was a shallow dive so I was surprised colors didn't show better. We were diving in 70ft I don't recall the water being that green, although you can certainly get into some very green water in the Gulf. Any suggestions on balancing the colors better. I assume artifical lighting would help a lot, but when videoing spearfishing, you have to keep some distance and light probably wouldn't help much.

1. 70' is not shallow, even in the Gulf. You lose a lot of light/colour unless you are talking totally tropic crystal clear water.
2. You need to get closer & use a light. The filter can only handle so much. (Sorry, I know you are talking about "candid" shots, but the camera can only do so much on its own.)
3. Get a filter that is specifically for green water. Not all filters are the same.

That being said... VERY nice video! :thumb:

DSDO,

SubMariner:
1. 70' is not shallow, even in the Gulf. You lose a lot of light/colour unless you are talking totally tropic crystal clear water.
2. You need to get closer & use a light. The filter can only handle so much. (Sorry, I know you are talking about "candid" shots, but the camera can only do so much on its own.)
3. Get a filter that is specifically for green water. Not all filters are the same.

That being said... VERY nice video! :thumb:

DSDO,

Thanks for the feedback, SubMariner. My comment was contextual (70' not shallow for spearfishing), but, it may be deep for video. The Gulf is funny, we can definitely get into blue water here, and sometimes top to bottom in 200' of water. I think the filter I have is for green water, which made the final product kind of disappointing.

By the way, do you ever run your video through computer filters, such asthose available through Final Cut Pro?

Scott

tampascott:
Thanks for the feedback, SubMariner. My comment was contextual (70' not shallow for spearfishing), but, it may be deep for video. The Gulf is funny, we can definitely get into blue water here, and sometimes top to bottom in 200' of water. I think the filter I have is for green water, which made the final product kind of disappointing.

I hear ya.

By the way, do you ever run your video through computer filters, such asthose available through Final Cut Pro?

Scott

I have a confession to make; I have yet to find a video program easy enough for a "yooser" like me to operate, so I let a friend do it for me. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom