reccomend a backup mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squee!

Contributor
Reaction score
So I am looking for a backup mask to carry with me. I currently dive with a tusa visualator and would like an extra mask just in case something happens to my current one on a dive.

Requirements:
compact (i.e. easily stowed in a small BC pocket or other small pocket or clipped)

purge (for easier clearing) would be nice but required.

any suggestions?

I use the mask Halcyon makes (puts their name on). Check out the Extreme Exposure website for a picture.

It's low profile, no purge, black skirt, easy to clear, small, etc.

I use it for my primary but would buy another as my backup (if I didn't have a backup mask already).

What about a see through plastic bag. Just put your head in it and exhale............

ShakaZulu:
What about a see through plastic bag. Just put your head in it and exhale............

I tried that, but I find it hard to get my head in underwater. I tried a plastic bucket for a while using that same method, but it was always hard to stow.

How about the new Cressi Matrix... no pursge, but angled lenses, low profile and easy compact for packing. I use that as my primary and the Cressi Horizon as my back up.
maria

sharkdiver00:
How about the new Cressi Matrix... no pursge, but angled lenses, low profile and easy compact for packing. I use that as my primary and the Cressi Horizon as my back up.
maria

I may be wrong here, but in looking at the matrix on the cressi website, it seems somewhat large, am I wrong in assuming this? Maybe not as large as my tusa visulator, but still pretty broad and tall. The halcyon mask on the other hand does seems like a nice compact mask, I would like a chance to check something like that out, but none of the LDS here sell halcyon anything. regardless it just may be worth ordering :wink:

Oceanic Mini-Shadow. Frameless, folds essentially flat, low profile. If the role of the B/U Mask is to get you out of a jam (as opposed to fitting you bone dry for an hour) this one does the ticket. I hardly notice it in my left pocket. It doesn't fit me real well, but well enough to get me from any depth calmly and slowly to the top.

K

Mares X-Vision.

However, it will probably end up becoming your primary since it is so good.

they may be a bit wide, but they are pretty flat. They do make a super low volume - very small mask called Minima. It is mostly skirt and the lenses are somewhat like goggles lenses. It used to be my back up mask until 'it found legs on a boat trip'.

As you can tell, I am a big Cressi fan... I am not able to compare it with the Halcyon as I have not tried that product yet.

Good luck and I hope you find what will fit your needs.
Maria

Back
Top Bottom