Dive Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee08:
What dive knife do you recommend?

Lee,

While I am not a fan of "PC" speak, I have adopted, and recommend to my students, that they use the label, "Dive Safety Tool".

Why, you might ask? Because in some groups, and in some areas, "knife" has automatic negative connotations for various reasons. Rather than even get into that, I choose to use the terminology above.

In addition, for a lot of purposes, the EMT shears, or their equivalent, are actually better than an an actual knife. They now come with handles that will match your color scheme, and they cut monofilament line, for instance, MUCH better than a straight-edged knife. Also, they are acceptable in those areas where they freak out about divers carrying "knives".

We teach that you should have two cutting devices, one placed above the belt-line, one below, accesible to either hand, for purposes of redundancy and safety. You can stow them in pockets, and secure them with a lanyard connected to the inside of the pocket.

Cheers!

BigJetDriver69:
While I am not a fan of "PC" speak, I have adopted, and recommend to my students, that they use the label, "Dive Safety Tool".

Not to nitpick, but seems like "cutting device" would be a better "PC" term for you to use. "Dive Safety Tool" is quite ambiguous....DSMB, whistle, signal mirror, dye pack, etc. could all fall into "dive safety tools." Your thoughts?

Jim

I allways carry cutting devices:

1) Wenoka old faithfull 6" dive knife strapped to the leg
2) Small Dive Rite Z knife on the upper right Harness strap
3) Small 3" Akona Drop point knife, right below the Z knife

Don't use them very much, but when I need them, there they are.

Mandy3206:
I allways carry cutting devices:

1) Wenoka old faithfull 6" dive knife strapped to the leg
2) Small Dive Rite Z knife on the upper right Harness strap
3) Small 3" Akona Drop point knife, right below the Z knife

Don't use them very much, but when I need them, there they are.

Mandy, you're new, but others may wish to take note of this as well...

"6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum." As seen here.

GoBlue!:
Not to nitpick, but seems like "cutting device" would be a better "PC" term for you to use. "Dive Safety Tool" is quite ambiguous....DSMB, whistle, signal mirror, dye pack, etc. could all fall into "dive safety tools." Your thoughts?

Jim

Jim,

Too true, but then, PC speak is very ambiguous anyway, isn't it???

Cheers!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom