How important is Zoom underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nevek89

Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Reefmaster 3.3
I allready have a high end panasonic but I dont think they will make a case for it.

The reefmaster only has digital zoom, which i despise and never use, I love the optical zoom on my panasonic.

I'm wondering, how important is an optical zoom underwater? you're really close to the object anyway

any insignt appreciated

Whoever told you that you are really close to the subject has never tried to take fish photos!

In my opinion a zoom is a great tool. I agree with you, digital zoom sucks but optical zoom is great.

Fish (except maybe a scorpionfish) will not let you get very close before turning their butt to you.
A zoom is a great tool for giving them some personal space whilst still enabling you to try to fill your frame. :wink:

I'll second Mike Veitch's post.
I use my optical zoom on almost every photo I take underwater.
Digital zoom is worthless underwater.

IMHO I don't think you should purchase an underwater camera that does not have digital zoom along with other features such as macro and manual white balance.

what exactly is macro mode? is that the flower mode on my panasonic?

Thanks for replys btw

nevek89:
what exactly is macro mode? is that the flower mode on my panasonic?

Thanks for replys btw
Yes, and check your manual for the minimum and maximum distances in that mode.

I'm gonna take a different tack. I don't necessarily disagree with Mike or Gilligan,their photos bear out their skills. However, the point most UW photography is to get as little water between you and the subject, due to the loss of light in the water column. Closer = less water = more light = more color...........

That said, I have seen people not get close enough and just say "hey, I can zoom in." Now, instead of a pic with no color and a fish that doesn't fill the frame. you have a pic with no color (well, blue) with a fish that does fill the frame. Not an improvement in my book.

Rather than sitting back and zooming in, better to get close, allowing the subject to fill the frame by backing out as necessary. A little zoom in this situation is OK.

Sometimes you can't get close enough due to topography or skittish fishy, and you gotta zoom. Just remember it's a tool

MHO, YMMV, etc

Chris

It probably all depends on whether or not you've got a dedicated strobe. Without a strobe, closer is far better as the onboard flash is often at it's best within a foot or less. I have a tough time getting the colors I want on anything other than macro.

With a strobe you've got a bit more leeway to sit back an extra bit and let the fish relax and use the zoom to frame your shot. With a strobe you do still have to get pretty darned close (compared to what many new photographers seem to think) but you'll get better shots at a more comfortable distance.

Steve

ChrisM:
I'm gonna take a different tack. I don't necessarily disagree with Mike or Gilligan,their photos bear out their skills. However, the point most UW photography is to get as little water between you and the subject, due to the loss of light in the water column. Closer = less water = more light = more color...........

That said, I have seen people not get close enough and just say "hey, I can zoom in." Now, instead of a pic with no color and a fish that doesn't fill the frame. you have a pic with no color (well, blue) with a fish that does fill the frame. Not an improvement in my book.

Rather than sitting back and zooming in, better to get close, allowing the subject to fill the frame by backing out as necessary. A little zoom in this situation is OK.

Sometimes you can't get close enough due to topography or skittish fishy, and you gotta zoom. Just remember it's a tool

MHO, YMMV, etc

Chris

Another issue that has yet to be addressed in this thread is manual white balancing capabilities.

Gilligan is a pro at getting a lot out of manual white balance when the availble strobe light is not enough to give you anything but a blue picture, go through his gallery and take a look at most of the wide angle stuff, couldn't be done without that capability... I'm not sure if the 310 has it.

Here's a link to a posting from another board by a person who used a 310 with strobe and an Oly without a strobe, but with manual white balance (to be fair, I think the poster photoshop autoleveled the Oly shot, but that alone won't make the difference). They used a somewhat spendier camera for thsi but a lot of the lower end name brand cameras also have this capability....

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=6029

Sometimes more bells and whistles really can make a difference.

later,

Steve

nevek89:
I have been looking at the Reefmaster 3.3
I allready have a high end panasonic but I dont think they will make a case for it.

The reefmaster only has digital zoom, which i despise and never use, I love the optical zoom on my panasonic.

I'm wondering, how important is an optical zoom underwater? you're really close to the object anyway

any insignt appreciated

ChrisM:

MHO, YMMV, etc

Chris

Very good points Chris, i agree with you completely.

Based on the suggestions from this board, I've been playing around with the zoom. For some critters that I just don't have the patience to wait until they come out enough to fill the frame. These gobies for instance will dart back in thier holes
IMG_3939.jpg

Also, have you checked to see if there's a case for your Panasonic?
See:
http://www.digideep.com/

Back
Top Bottom