Buddy breathing and GUE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
There is another thread going on about the merits (or not) of buddy breathing as an essential skill. While I already understand that the likelyhood of a bungied backup failing because it's full of crud etc is very small, I suppose that it could possibly fail for some other reason.
The question was raised in the other thread as to GUE's attitude to buddy breathing - i.e. what is the actual GUE position on this skill - is it practiced as part of DIR?
No-one has given an answer to that in the other thread so I have posted it here as I am very curious as to the answer - and if possible an explanation as to the why of the answer from a GUE perspective.

As far as I know it is not taught (atleast not in Fundies). In conditions where buddy breathing might critical (deep or in an overhead env), DIR divers would be diving doubles and often in teams of three - a lot of stuff would have to hit the fan before you got down to one reg. Plus, there all kinds of cool stuff like stripping regs underwater and pulling regs off deco bottles, etc.

I might be wrong though and I'd be interested to see what others had to say.

MASS-Diver:
As far as I know it is not taught (atleast not in Fundies). In conditions where buddy breathing might critical (deep or in an overhead env), DIR divers would be diving doubles and often in teams of three - a lot of stuff would have to hit the fan before you got down to one reg. Plus, there all kinds of cool stuff like stripping regs underwater and pulling regs off deco bottles, etc.

I might be wrong though and I'd be interested to see what others had to say.

My thoughts when I saw the post in the other thread were pretty much what MASS-diver has said here. I'm not GUE trained so I don't know what their official position is on buddy breathing.

I just checked the GUE site. It appears to be at least a part of Cave3. Wether it is actually taught earlier as well I can't really tell. Hopefully someone will tell us soon!!
In any event, as it's part of Cave3 I presume that they don't have anything against it.

KimLeece:
I just checked the GUE site. It appears to be at least a part of Cave3. Wether it is actually taught earlier as well I can't really tell. Hopefully someone will tell us soon!!
In any event, as it's part of Cave3 I presume that they don't have anything against it.

It's not taught in Tech 1 either.

Like what Mass Diver mentioned, when diving in teams of 3, with doubles and stages, the chances of having failures till the point of having one workable reg is very very very slim

Yes, I can see that it's probably considered a last resort. I was just curious if GUE considered it at all - ever. As I have now seen that it IS a part of Cave3 then I have at least a part of the answer. I don't really have the 'why' yet - i.e. the GUE attitude towards it. I'm guessing that the answer will probably be that all things considered with the rest of the training/equipment etc it'll come quite far down the list of OOA responses - that's what I'm curious about though: 'why?'
On a side note - I also wonder if it will be taught as part of the future GUE OW course which I have heard rumours will exist one day.

ianr33:
A lot would have to go wrong to have to buddy breathe off back gas wearing doubles. Seems more likely to be needed on deco gas.
Yup - that might give a lot more reason!

Its not taught or required in Fundies. However, it is a skill I've practiced with my buddies. Frankly, we did it just to see if we could do it while maintaining buoyancy.

Since I usually dive in a team of three, there would need to be something seriously wrong in order for buddy breathing to become necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom