Question from a clueless person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rikeegee

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First of all, I just want to start off by saying that I am not a diver nor am do I have any knowledge regarding the technologies of diving. However, I do have a cousin who is an avid diver and is having a bday soon. Who else to ask regarding diving gadgets than the group that uses them the most.

I want to buy him a wrist watch/computer. So far I am deciding between the Suunto Vyper or Suunto Mosquito. The only difference between the 2 is that Mosquito has a watch, right? They are about the same price range which fits my budget. What do you all think about these (if you were getting them as gifts)?

If you think there are other brands/models in the 300-500 price range that I should consider which may give him more features and reliability, absolutely post them and I can do more research on them.

I thought there was a wrist computer with a gps on it but that might be asking too much and beyond my budget.

I thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

rikeegee:
I want to buy him a wrist watch/computer. So far I am deciding between the Suunto Vyper or Suunto Mosquito. The only difference between the 2 is that Mosquito has a watch, right? They are about the same price range which fits my budget. What do you all think about these (if you were getting them as gifts)?

Dive computers are somewhat personal gear that invoke strong reactions in most divers. Although either of your choices is good, I would suggest you get one or the other with the understanding it may be exchanged, or just give a gift certificate for that amount.

Not to rain on your parade :wink:

No GPS as they don't work underwater.

MD

MechDiver:
Dive computers are somewhat personal gear that invoke strong reactions in most divers. Although either of your choices is good, I would suggest you get one or the other with the understanding it may be exchanged, or just give a gift certificate for that amount.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I should mention that he lives in another country where equipment is very expensive and hard to come by so anything he gets he really appreciates. I want him to get something that will last him a while plus has that cool factor.

If you're sure he doesn't already have a computer, either is a great choice. I'd like a Vyper more because the screen is much larger, and a Mosquito is too big for me to wear as a wristwatch.

The Mosquito is more of a watch form factor, with a display size to match. Some people will find the Vyper easier to read. (You can get the time from the Vyper by pushing some buttons, it's just not the default display.) Ditto what MechDiver said, both good choices but make sure it can be exchanged just in case.

rikeegee:
Thanks for the input. Maybe I should mention that he lives in another country where equipment is very expensive and hard to come by so anything he gets he really appreciates. I want him to get something that will last him a while plus has that cool factor.

Countries not being equal in what units they use (some are far behind the US and still use those awful metric things :wink: ), I would suggest you check with someone where he is and see what exactly they use.

Secondly, I will forward my address and birthday to you for next year :)

MD

I wear my Suunto Mosquito on a daily bais, and the "KEWL" factor is great. The computer can me set to metric or "American" units........way to go.

Thanks for all the input. From the feedback, I will be going with the Vyper for screen size. Feature for feature are they are the same right? Is Air, Nitrox and Guage all the features you normally need?

rikeegee:
MechDiver:

You might want to get on a computer and create a nice gift certificate for the computer of his choice. Send it to him. You still buy it here in the states but it allows him to choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom