where is the reel clipped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanzer2250:
Where is a reel clipped to the harness? Not a finger spool, but a wreck reel for Northeast wreck diving.
Hi Tanzer,
In the past, I've clipped mine on my butt d-ring or on my waist d-ring. Be aware that they can and do loosen and unwind....just be vigilant w/them wherever you do stow them and be sure to make them part of your systems check until you have it in use. Also be aware that the waist d-ring can get a bit busy when stages/deco bottles are added. I have friends that will clip the reel to the deco bottle lower bolt snap (on the circular part/the closed loop end).

dive safe!---brandon

In general the reel is used right away so if the hip is to busy a good spot is on a deco bottle snap. I will usaly put it on the top snap. A reel on the butt ring when wreck diving is highly unadvisable. Nothing that could present an entanglement issue should be on the butt ring when wreck diving, spools and reels will grab lines and cables.

salty:
In general the reel is used right away so if the hip is to busy a good spot is on a deco bottle snap. I will usaly put it on the top snap. A reel on the butt ring when wreck diving is highly unadvisable. Nothing that could present an entanglement issue should be on the butt ring when wreck diving, spools and reels will grab lines and cables.
Yeah, I generally clip it to my hip d-ring below my deco bottles. The bottles sit above it and it kinda hangs below me a bit. That way, when it hooks on something (notice I said when and not if), I can just reach down and unfoul it.

Since you are specifying wreck diving... If you are not going to "drop" your stages on the wreck, you can use the stage clip. I often leave my stages topside. A right side D is convenient but, if you are 100% DIR rigged, you might use the 2" ring on the front crotch strap

msandler:
Since you are specifying wreck diving... If you are not going to "drop" your stages on the wreck, you can use the stage clip. I often leave my stages topside. A right side D is convenient but, if you are 100% DIR rigged, you might use the 2" ring on the front crotch strap

If your prone to dropping stage or deco gas than clipping it to the bottles is a good idea because you can tie off to the bottles and always find your gas again. I don't know if this is DIR but it is a safe practice.( being able to find your gas in low viz,That is) It's also a good Idea to have a safety reel as a back up to shoot a bag with. I don't know if this is DIR , but someone here can comment on that. I stow all my reels on a tank D-ring. I'm sure that's not DIR but it is CDS, and works well for me . GOOD LUCK

should it go in front or behind a canister light
all the DIR pics don't show that detail
i am putting it in front for easy access
but i also need to keep my light canister
fairly forward so i can reach the switch on top.
so my front waist area is getting crowded

dt

dtdiver:
should it go in front or behind a canister light
all the DIR pics don't show that detail
i am putting it in front for easy access
but i also need to keep my light canister
fairly forward so i can reach the switch on top.
so my front waist area is getting crowded

dt
From a DIR perspective, it goes on the side opposite the canister light. The canister light would be on your right side and your d-ring on your left.

presently, i put my canister and my reel on the right and my bottle on the left

my thinking was to equally distribute the bulk on both sides. canister+reel = one bottle

i'll have to think about the logic of your setup.

thanks
dt

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom