wreck divers reel/

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgkv

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking into taking the wreck divers course, One of the things I am to have is my own reel. I have a reel with my SMB. Are the wreck, cave etc reels different or is my SMB reel ok.. Thanks

For your smb do you use a reel or a spool? A spool is just a bobbin loaded with line, and will be slow and annoying to wind and generally awkward, so a reel which has a handle (ideally a side handle, not a lantern handle) and a winding knob will be necessary. I use a dive rite 200' slide-lock reel and would recommend it. For cave or advanced wreck you'd use the same style but a longer line.

I am looking into taking the wreck divers course, One of the things I am to have is my own reel. I have a reel with my SMB. Are the wreck, cave etc reels different or is my SMB reel ok.. Thanks
I have two reels from the cavern and basic cave courses I took in 1988. One is a primary reel, and the other, smaller one is a back-up/safety reel. When I began diving on Great Lakes shipwrecks in the early 1990's, I replaced the cave line with wreck line on both reels.

For the recreational diving that I do now, I use my back-up reel with my DSMB attached. Works very well for me. I have never felt the need to use anything other than this.

If I returned to diving deep shipwrecks, I would return to taking both reels (again with DSMB attached to my primary reel).

rx7diver

For wreck diving and for teaching wreck diving i use DiveRite Slidelock reels. I have 2 250' and 2 450'. Plus a couple of 100-150 foot finger spools. A couple of Carter Bag dSMBs (1 8 foot and 1 10 foot). plus a 5 foot pink backup marker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom