Best digital picture quality for $700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Sky Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Would appreciate any guidance/experience/opinions on the what combination of camera and housing will yield the best image quality for a combined price of $700.

thanks

Have you checked out the Getting Started Thread? That will give you some good ideas.

It really depends on what you want to do. I love the Canon systems - you can add strobes & lenses etc (check out LukeRob's images) or not and get great stuff. They are inexpensive, small, easy...just love 'em.

I currently use the Oly 5050 and Oly PT015 housing. You can get this system for under $700, too. I've added a strobe and some lenses - you will not add this stuff for your $700 budget :) Again, the basic system works a treat and it is always nice to learn the basics before adding more stuff.

Thanks Alcina I'm interested in a camera and housing that can produce publishable images. The Canon S60 is the only 5 mp that I'm aware of that can record in RAW format. But if there are better systems available in the same price range, I'd like to know about it.

Again, depends on where you are going to publish.

I think I read one of the pros say that for a two page spread you need at least an 8MP camera...but this was several (at least) months ago & I may be a little off base.

A 2MP outstanding image can be published high-end, but there aren't too many of those out there.

Well, my S60, housing, 512 card, and another Canon battery $743 shipped. The only thing that would be better in this range is the S70, for a few dollars more :wink:

publishable where??

I have seen 2 mp images that have been published. My cam is only 3.2MP but still produces great shots. It is more about the optics than the mega pixels. I like the look of the S60/S70 (still s60 is probably better option because it is cheaper) but I'd wait a little cause nikon just brought out the CP8400 which if they produce a housing will be the best camera in this range.

The Oly C series cameras are better in my opinion because of the faster bigger lens. Yet housings are also much bigger and shutter lag is greater (they can also shot RAW), depends on what you consider more important. The Oly C series are also better on land because you can add wide adapters and slave flash etc. There are many more things to consider besides MP.

Big Sky Dave:
Luke doesnt the Oly pre flash (assuming it has one and it can't be turned off) cause a slave strobe to fire prematurely?

Not if you have a compatible strobe. Plus with the C-5050 you can set it to slave mode to turn off the pre0flash.

Back
Top Bottom