Video Lights as Primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
If you're shooting video, do also carry a primary, or do you use the video lights as your primary?

I'm sure for caves and deep wrecks you all still carry the canister

BUT...

For shallower rec dives is there really a need to carry my canister if I already have an HID or even two on my video housing?

In fact I was thinking of even using my canister as a video light (or one of my lights) when shooting.

grunzster:
If you're shooting video, do also carry a primary, or do you use the video lights as your primary?

I'm sure for caves and deep wrecks you all still carry the canister

BUT...

For shallower rec dives is there really a need to carry my canister if I already have an HID or even two on my video housing?

In fact I was thinking of even using my canister as a video light (or one of my lights) when shooting.

HIDs mounted on video housing can't be used for signalizing (which is one of the primary light functions), so probably the other option (using your primary as second video light) makes more sense to me.

MonkSeal:
HIDs mounted on video housing can't be used for signalizing
Why not?
I haven't found it to be a problem.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Why not?
I haven't found it to be a problem.
Rick

That was just my guess. I don't know what type of housing we're talking about and how the HIDs are mounted. If there are two HIDs (one at the each side) and they are somehow hard-fixed to housing, how can you signal something (moving complete housing with lights pointed in different directions) ? I don't know, maybe you can explain me with some picts if you have.

MonkSeal:
That was just my guess. I don't know what type of housing we're talking about and how the HIDs are mounted. If there are two HIDs (one at the each side) and they are somehow hard-fixed to housing, how can you signal something (moving complete housing with lights pointed in different directions) ? I don't know, maybe you can explain me with some picts if you have.

I have seen one GUE instructor use two lights. One 13.5/dual 24W for the video, and one 9/18w for signalling.

The issue I can see with signalling, using the video lights, is that the reflectors diffuses the light beam. Due to this you do not have a focused light spot that is as clearly detectable as a primary light when signalling.

Otherwise I assume that you would have to place the video diver in a position where he/she constantly could be observed, and easily be reached, by at least one of the other team members.

Anders

I didn't see this was in the DIR forum.
I have no idea whether using a Video light is DIR or not, so YMMV.
On my video light head I have a bright narrow "modeling light" as well as the 50 watt diffused video light itself. The modeling light works just fine for signalling, and is the light I use when not actually taking video. In open water I may not carry any other primary grade light than the double video/modeling light head, but I do carry at least one backup.
In overheads I also carry a separate HID primary on a hand-mount, and do not count my video lights at all in my "three required," since if used constantly the video light will not meet my endurance requirement for a primary or a backup.
None of what I have offered here is claimed to be "DIR."
Rick :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom