Backplate/wing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have done some searching on this board and others and still have a few questions about getting a DIR compliant backplate/wing for a single tank in preparation for doing a DIR-F course in the spring. I have looked at lots of options and kind of decided that my best bet would be top buy the whole set-up in one shot from one supplier. I have found the following:

1. Halcyon Eclipse 30 complete set-up for $565 available locally - included storage pack and is obviously completely DIR compliant.

2. Deep Sea Supply Single bp/w rig with Hogarthian Harness $415 plus shipping - I am unsure whenter or not there is a pull dump that would have to be fixed, if the 30lb wing is a donut and how long the inflator hose is - other than that it looks complete

3. Oxycheq single bp/w complete $470 plus shipping from COVCI

4. Diverite bp/w total set-up $415.98 plus shipping - definitely has a pull dump which is an issue

I have also looked at FredT's backplates, but it seems that I can save some $$$ by buying a complete rig. I was not considering Halcyon's Pioneer series since the wing seems less durable. I want to make the call soon but I also want to make the right choice. Are there other options and /or factors that I should consider?

Thanks,

Jackie

Buying locally is definitely a good idea if you want to spend the extra money to have someone help you put it together, set it up, help with fit, take care of it if you break it, etc.

Other than that, IMO the Oxycheq is a good value, but the standard wing isn't quite comparable to the Eclipse because the Eclipse has a separate, replaceable air bladder. Look at the Oxycheq Sgnature Series (same price as the Eclipse) if you want the same thing there. If you're concerned about DIR, the DSS wing is not DIR for a couple of reasons. Which wing comes with the Dive Rite package that you're looking at?

$400 should do it.

Any plate $100.00
OMS or DR Wing $~200
D-rings and sliders $~15
Webbing $10.00

STA $75.00 (checkout Oxycheq's STA) Or just get cam bands and a slotted plate.

Use the leftover money to buy the DIR DVD set.

IMO, msander is fudging the numbers a bit and if you actually add everything together it will be significantly more than $400.

FYI: You can get the Dive Rite wings with a shorter inflator and without the pull dump. (You have to pay extra for the options, however).

Not a real big difference in price if you order it through Dive-RiteExpress.com.
You have to pay for the 90 degree elbow (about $8 if I remember correctly).
Got my "Venture" wing with the 12" inflator hose for the same cost as the standard plus the cost of the 90 elbow.

jonnythan:
IMO, msander is fudging the numbers a bit and if you actually add everything together it will be significantly more than $400.

nope, Leisure Pro and Reef Scuba will get you there.
Are you splitting hairs Johnny, or do you not know what
this --> ~ means

Better yet, check out the used gear on this, decostop, and cavediver.

Well I don't think that it's worth an argument or anything, but you implied that the dude can save money from the $416 he quoted for a complete DR setup from one place. $16 may or may not be significant, but I figured I'd say that I don't think he'll be able to put all that together from LP and RS for exactly $400 so don't bother trying.

The Kracken:
Not a real big difference in price if you order it through Dive-RiteExpress.com.
You have to pay for the 90 degree elbow (about $8 if I remember correctly).
Got my "Venture" wing with the 12" inflator hose for the same cost as the standard plus the cost of the 90 elbow.

AND Dive-RiteExpress will ship it free!

jonnythan:
Well I don't think that it's worth an argument or anything, but you implied that the dude can save money from the $416 he quoted for a complete DR setup from one place. $16 may or may not be significant, but I figured I'd say that I don't think he'll be able to put all that together from LP and RS for exactly $400 so don't bother trying.

OOOPS I am sorry. I don't know why I didn't see "416". I swear I read a bigger number - apologies to you.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom