Nikonos, Wide Angle, & Aqualens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonziMan

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been looking for wide angle lens options for my Nikonos V this week and would appreciate any comments. Initially I was primarily interested in the Nikonos 15mm but then I ran across a deal on this Aquatica Aqualens set-up from Helix.

I've searched this board's archives and can't find much information on the Aquatica Aqualens system for the Nikonos cameras. What it looks like is a housing that fits on the waterproof Nikonos bayonet mount. This allows you to put regular Nikon lenses inside a 6" dome port ie. 16mm fisheye, 20mm, etc. You have a custon gear setup to work the aperature & focus.

Is this a viable system? Is there a high flood risk with this thing? Does anyone have experience with this setup? Will the TTL and light meter on my Nikonos V work with this housing?

Thanks!

DonziMan:
Hello everyone!

I've been looking for wide angle lens options for my Nikonos V this week and would appreciate any comments. Initially I was primarily interested in the Nikonos 15mm but then I ran across a deal on this Aquatica Aqualens set-up from Helix.

I've searched this board's archives and can't find much information on the Aquatica Aqualens system for the Nikonos cameras. What it looks like is a housing that fits on the waterproof Nikonos bayonet mount. This allows you to put regular Nikon lenses inside a 6" dome port ie. 16mm fisheye, 20mm, etc. You have a custon gear setup to work the aperature & focus.

Is this a viable system? Is there a high flood risk with this thing? Does anyone have experience with this setup? Will the TTL and light meter on my Nikonos V work with this housing?

Thanks!

Hi DonziMan. I've seen the Aqualens setup, but I've never used it. So I can't answer your specific questions. However, no lens behind a port will render edge-to-edge sharpness as well as the water contact lenses for Nikonos. The Sea & Sea 15mm is an excellent choice. A tad slower than the Nikon lens, but smaller and lighter--not to mention a fraction of the cost. You can find them in the $500 range. The availability of water contact lenses is the best thing a Nikonos has to offer, in my opinion. -Clay

DonziMan, welcome to the board!

We have an Aqualens. It's rarely used.

You will have to pick up some gears (about $60), and remember that you are essentially using a housing, with all the attendant O-ring maintenence. Also, you are kind of counting on depth of field to make up for the inexactness of focusing.

There's a bit of fall off in the corners because of the smallish size dome (6"), and, because of the large size of the Aqualens, there is a chance of a good sized bump tilting the seal between the lens and the body, which can result in a flood.

Other than this, it works well if you put the care into it. If you allready have a Nikon 20mm AI-S, the Aqualens could save you a few $, and give you some lens flexibility.

OTOH, the UW-Nikkor 15mm is sharp corner to corner, superbly corrected and smaller. Many have said this lens is the finest piece of underwater optics ever made.

Starting from a blank slate, even at eBay prices, you will probabally find the two choices a wash; with that, there's no reason NOT to get a 15mm.

All the best, James

I agree with James, the 15mm is the finest thing ever made. I have made the switch to digital but am still keeping my Nik Vs and 15mm and will still get lots of use from it.
Nothing beats it for sharpness

I had an aqualens. It worked okay with a fisheye lens because just about everything is in focus. I've had problems with the 20mm lens. You have to do some experimentation with focusing. I did that in a pool and made the appropriate markings. When I went on my trip I promptly lost the markings and ended up with a collection of soft images. My aqualens came with a piece that connects the housing to the Nikonos viewfinder shoe mount. I thought it was as stable as the normal lens mounts. Luck was on my side though. I found an Aquatica housing for the 8008 for $200. The macro port was okay but the dome port was scratched on both sides. Lucky me, I had a 6" dome port from the aqualens and it works fine with a 20mm lens.

You won't find a better optic than the Nikkor 15. I started with a 20 which was fantastic and a little easier to use. Then I "graduated" to the 15. Edge-to-edge sharpness is unbelievable. FYI I've heard that the Sea & Sea 15 is also a superb optic, just not as fast.

At least when you use the UW lenses the focus markings can't be mistaken. You won't be disapointed.

I also have an aqua lens and all the gears and the finder as well, I got it for use with the 16mm, used it once! The Sea and Sea 12 mm fisheye does a better job! go for the Sea & Sea 15 mm or better yet, The Nikonos 15 mm! Pure perfection!

Chris

Thanks for the input guys! That really helps out. Does anyone know where I can buy a used 15mm lens (nikonos or Sea & Sea) other than watching Ebay? Also, can you recomend a service shop for the lens so I can have it checked out prior to diving with it?

This Scuba Board rocks!

Oh yeah, has anyone tried over/under shots with the Aqualens? Can this be done with the Nikon 16mm lens and the 6" port?

Thanks again :)

DonziMan:
Oh yeah, has anyone tried over/under shots with the Aqualens? Can this be done with the Nikon 16mm lens and the 6" port?

Thanks again :)

Yes it can, in fact that is why I got it in the first place. A 8" dome will produce better results! The aqua lens uses the A80 style threaded ports therefore adding a big dome is easy, but not cheap

DonziMan:

It is tough adding to the previous posts. I shoot a Nikonos III and the 15mm Nikonos is my mainstay. IMO it is worth the money. If you troll Ebay you will eventually find a decent deal.

I use an older 15mm. I have been told that the older lenses will fit a Nikonos V but blocks the light sensor. I think you can use it on the V if you go full manual. Perhaps someone can advise on this issue. Otherwise make sure the lense for sale is a later model that was designed for the V.

I also have a Sea and Sea 16mm screw on wide angle conversion lense for the Nikons 35mm lense. I am amazed how well this glass works. It is not a Nik 15mm (slower, longer inside focal plane, not as sharp) but produces good pictures and is good value for the price. If you are careful to avoid an implode, you can interpose a filter between the 35mm and the screw on glass and still get sharp focus. I like it because I can (carefully) unscrew the lense underwater and go 35mm or (carefully) attach my Nikonos closeup lense to the 35mm. With a little practice this makes a versitile rig if you are not certain at the start of the dive what you will be shooting.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom