snorkling vs diving (fins)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pikapp

Reaction score
I am goin to spend a week in Belize and I will be snorkeling twice a day. I want something that will be comfortable and allow me to reserve a good bit of energy. The last few times I have gone, I have tried to spend more time on the bottom opposed to just floating around on the top of the water. Does anyone have any suggestions for fins? Are there fins I should stay away from? I dont mind spending a bit of money, because comfort is hugely important, and I want to spend all my time enjoying myself, not fidgiting with equip and being uncomfortable. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sorry about the terrible grammar :)

Diver0001:
What kind of fins do you already have? And what have you used before that you didn't like?

R..

The only fins I have ever used were rentals, so I am really just open to suggestions at the moment. I am sorry for being such a newbie, I just need a bit of help. Thanks alot.

Pikapp:
The only fins I have ever used were rentals, so I am really just open to suggestions at the moment. I am sorry for being such a newbie, I just need a bit of help. Thanks alot.

No need to apologise. Everybody was a newbie once and I wish I had asked more questions when I was new to snorkelling. You have already said that your foremost criterion is comfort. This means that you want a pair that is a good fit. Fins do come in a range of sizes, but not in a variety of breadths. There is no substitute for trying them on first, just as you would a pair of shoes, so that you can establish whether they are too tight, which will cause cramps, or too loose, which will cause blisters.

Then there's the matter of blade stiffness, which is also a comfort consideration. Inflexible blades may be more powerful, but also strain muscles. You say that your experience is with rental fins. Was this experience a positive or negative one? Start from there when weighing up the options. The fins that I use when snorkelling suit me fine, but may not suit you. So if you receive responses recommending just one brand of fin, try and borrow a pair first before you buy, so that you don't regret your purchase at leisure!

David

David Wilson:
No need to apologise. Everybody was a newbie once and I wish I had asked more questions when I was new to snorkelling. You have already said that your foremost criterion is comfort. This means that you want a pair that is a good fit. Fins do come in a range of sizes, but not in a variety of breadths. There is no substitute for trying them on first, just as you would a pair of shoes, so that you can establish whether they are too tight, which will cause cramps, or too loose, which will cause blisters.

Then there's the matter of blade stiffness, which is also a comfort consideration. Inflexible blades may be more powerful, but also strain muscles. You say that your experience is with rental fins. Was this experience a positive or negative one? Start from there when weighing up the options. The fins that I use when snorkelling suit me fine, but may not suit you. So if you receive responses recommending just one brand of fin, try and borrow a pair first before you buy, so that you don't regret your purchase at leisure!

David
Will you need to walk out over sharp rocks/coral debris before you put your fins on? If so, buy a pair of booties, and then buy fins large enough to go OVER those booties.

I agree that fit and comfort is the most important criteria. I will tell you my choice - it may not be best for you. I use Aeris Velocity full foot fins for both snorkeling and scuba. They are longer than basic snorkeling fins, but are very light weight so they are comfortable. Plus, they give me plenty of power for scuba - i used them for liveaboard diving in Fiji and palau with no problems. That way, I only pack one set of fins.

I used to use the Aeris Velocity fins as well for snorkeling, while they were great snorkeling fins, I just could not fit my feet in them comfortably, plus I hated walking over lava rock. So I picked up a pair of XXL Jet fins with spring straps and some lug sole boots, it's been a great combination for me both for snorkeling and scuba. But as was already stated, try some on (in the water preferably) and make sure they are comfortable whatever fins you buy. Nothing worse with fins than when they cause foot cramps (leg cramps you can solve by building up your muscles and drinking enough water which is good all around for you).

Tim

Fellow noob here, Being that I just got my fins I found that booties make a world of difference. With my circumstance, the sides of my feet felt crushed in the pocket of most of the fins I tried. The sales man said try them with a booty and still it was uncomfortable. I then grabbed a pair of booties that were a bit more expensive of the shelf that were stiff on the bottom. These would not squeeze in from the sides and the fins then felt great! Hope that helps :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom