Do you double or single..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if you DIR divers always or never dive double tanks. Do you always dive doubles, no matter what dive you do (180ft technical wreck or 30ft reef)...Do you only dive singles (you`are DIR but don't need the extra tank) or does it depend on the dive...

I'm not a strict DIR diver, but based on the DIR-F training I've had and the reading I've done, it depends on the dive.

I only dive singles at the moment, but when I get doubles in the near future no doubt I'll mix it up depending on the dive.

I use double AL 80's most of the time, that's until I get my drysuit in May. I like the way doubles feel. I do use single tanks when I need to, but it all depends on the dive. When I get my drysuit I'll double up my other tanks too.

vcobra:
I use double AL 80's most of the time, that's until I get my drysuit in May. I like the way doubles feel. I do use single tanks when I need to, but it all depends on the dive. When I get my drysuit I'll double up my other tanks too.
Pretty much what he said.

I'm not claiming to be a DIR diver either, and I have both doubles (72s) and several single tanks. Definitely depending on teh dive - although I prefer the doubles for various trim and stability issues, it doesn't take much for me to slap the 'plate on my single tanks when all my buddies are single tank divers, or for the 'light' after-work dives around here (<33', shore dives) when diving doubles would be overkill.

divemed06:
Just wondering if you DIR divers always or never dive double tanks. Do you always dive doubles, no matter what dive you do (180ft technical wreck or 30ft reef)...Do you only dive singles (you`are DIR but don't need the extra tank) or does it depend on the dive...

It depends on the dive. I use a 15 litre tank with a Y valve for puddlestomping and teaching. It's lighter and easier to use for shore entries and I usually only use 1/2 of it on an hour long dive so it's big enough. Most of the hard-core DIR divers I see around here seem to use their doubles all the time. According to what I hear around me the 15 litre tank I use is not DIR (I'm not sure why) but I don't think DIR is anti-singles in principle.

R..

Mostly doubles. Locally, only a few of my dives are less than 60 feet and almost all are wrecks, so there aren't many I do in singles. When traveling, it becomes more problematic. If it's a big dive, I'll take (or ship) doubles, but logistics mean that a quick hop to somewhere warm and reefy usually involves rental singles.

I dive double 104s almost exclusively. I go with a single if I'm helping with OW training or travelling where renting doubles would be difficult. I prefer the feel of my doubles and every dive is a training dive for me whether it's at 30' or 200'.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom