is gas switching on vytec useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, i currently own a Suunto Vyper and love it, my girlfriend has started diving and i was going to get her a computer, and i immediatley decided on another vyper for her. However, I'm thinking about getting into deco and wreck diving, and i was wondering if the gas switching on the vyper is worth buying a vytec for myself and giving her my vyper. Anyone have any opinions?

I must also say that i've read all the computer arguements, i don't rely on my computer to plan my dives, it's just a nice backup, if at any stage it failed i would know my limits, i have a backup timer already, and i don't like air integrated, well mybe if i had a backup pressure guage as well, i'm just wondering if the vytec has anything to offer me for tec diving that the vyper doesn't

thanks

I'm moving from the Cobra to the Vytec. I think that the gas switching is useful. The problem with using your Vyper would be that you would "bend" it on a deco dive or gas switching dive. You would need to use it in gauge mode to prevent from locking your self out of it for 48 hours.

If you are planning on doing accellerated deco, a gas switching computer is nice to have. A computer without a gas switching capability is going to get very upset when you get out of the water after 20 minutes of deco on Nitrox 50, Nitrox 80, 100%, etc when it thinks you are decoing on the backgas and consequently insists you still have 15 or 20 more minutes of deco to do.

Relying on the computer on a deco dive is a bad idea and the computer does not eliminate the need for careful and thorough planning. Taking a shortcut on the air planning and general dive planning is where people get into serious trouble. But where it is nice to have a gas switching computer is if you do a deep deco dive in the morning followed by the normal shallow run of the mill multilevel recreational dives all afternoon.

DA Aquamaster:
Relying on the computer on a deco dive is a bad idea and the computer does not eliminate the need for careful and thorough planning. Taking a shortcut on the air planning and general dive planning is where people get into serious trouble.

100% agree, that is not why i want this computer, i just have an opportunity to get one now, and i'm wondering is it worth the extra money

okay, let me rephrase that, i know the maximum dive time for the deepest part of my dive, and if it failed i'd know how long i had until i reached my no deco limit..i don't just jump in and wait for my computer to tell me how long i've got left with no preperation..

mossym:
100% agree, that is not why i want this computer, i just have an opportunity to get one now, and i'm wondering is it worth the extra money
I just bought a vytec w/trans for my wife from divetank.net at a really good price. Ask for Richard.

The Vytec is excellent. I love mine.

I am a big fan of:
Plan the dive by the tables.
Dive the dive by the computer (but making the deep stops).
Take the table along in a pocket with a bottom timer just in case.

But don't do what I say -- let your conscience, and your training, be your guide.

Dive safe,
theskull

Uncle Pug:
Would you know when it was giving you mis-information? Would you know how to adjust for lost deco gase(s) and/or missed stops?

reread my post, i'm not doing anything over 130ft right now, and i know my limits up to that depth, once i do a tec course then i will start worrying about missed stops, for now, yeah i would know if it was saying something ridiculous, and a long hang at 20 followed by another long hang at 15 then a very slow ascent would follow..i don't ever want to be reliant on a computer, thats why i'm asking if this would be useful..obciously from your posts you think not,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom