Suunto Cobra - Won't go into dive mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgleason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Suunto Cobra dive computer won't shift into dive mode regardless of depth. It works fine in all of the surface modes. When immersed in water the "AC" displays to indicate Active Contacts which tells me it knows I am in water. However, I just did to dives to try it out going to approximately fifteen feet each time. It just stays on "Surface Mode" displaying "0 ft" and "0 dive time". As it is supposed to do in surface mode it show tank pressure.

I just bought the Suunto Cobra dive computer on eBay. Arrived in great shape. All appeared to work fine on the surface. All of the programing, simulated dive, etc. works 100% according to the manual. I have repeatedly combed the manual and it doesn't appear that I have to do anything once I get in the water. I believe it is to shift from surface to dive mode automatically. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad depth sensor (that's my guess) on my used Cobra?

Any help is appreciated.

John Gleason
Seattle

Absolutely no idea why its not engaging in the dive mode, my vyper works fine. I moved the post here to computers for a better chance of it being seen :wink:

The only time my Suunto Solution did anything similar to that it was a bad sensor. Suunto replaced it no questions asked.

Paula

It should jump right into dive mode once wet and under 4 or so feet of water. You might try removing the battery for a minute or two. If that doesn't work you'll probably need to send it back to Suunto.

Send it back! I have had a cobra for 4 yrs, its been used for 3 or 4 times a week since I bought it never not come on underwater.

'nother Cobra user here...there is no reason why it shouldn't kick in as soon as it hits the water. Send it to Suunto, their support is unsurpassed. Also send in a bad report on the seller on eBay [disclaimer: only if you suspect the seller was an ***].

RICoder:
'nother Cobra user here...there is no reason why it shouldn't kick in as soon as it hits the water. Send it to Suunto, their support is unsurpassed. Also send in a bad report on the seller on eBay.

Not knowing the exact situation I'm not sure sending a bad report to eBay would be the proper thing to do. Maybe it was one of those.. "I got this from a friend, I know nothing about dive equipment. It's used, looks alright, and is sold As-Is." If this is the case, then there really isn't anything to report bad about the seller. The seller would have informed you upfront that he/she knows nothing about the equipment. Even more so if they aren't a diver, they would have suspected the equipment worked fine. If they turned it on and it seemed operational in surface mode (as stated here in this thread), but don't dive how would they know it wouldn't kick into dive mode. Of course this may not be the case. If the seller sold the equipment intentionally knowing it had a damaged sensor or other issues (and didn't state as-is), then a bad report to eBay could possibly be prudent.

Matt

PS

Call suunto US and see if they have a track on where it was sold first and if its not been stolen ask how much to fix then contact the seller ask if he is able to help or refund, (suport your local dive store) sorry guy I can only imagine how much this ticks you off to have all this happen

Thank you for all who responded and offered advice. You convinced me that it was not operator error, but a malfunction with the dive computer. Luckily, I tested it within ten days of my receiving it so the eBay Seller agreed to refund my money. I did like what I saw, so once I got my refund, I went out and purchased a brand new one. I am looking forward to trying it in the next month or two. No rush. I have a Suunto warranty to back it up.

Good to hear. Both that the seller stood by his product and gave you a refund as well as you choosing to buy a new Suunto. I'm sure you'll come to love it.

Back
Top Bottom