D9 Or ((Smart Tec or Aeris Elite) and Mares Nemo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Freeman

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay I have to make a choice within the next month on a dive computer.

I am a sport diver and mainly do reefs in cozomel and where ever else I can get to. Probably a lot of lake diving with friends to keep my skills up. I would like to have the capability to move into some light wreck and cave diving after I find the time for some training, but I probably will never get into any too extreme. (i.e., I will not be searching out really deep caves or unscouted wreaks.)

Here are my choices. The money has to be spent or it is lost so this is purely a which is the best set up, not which is cheaper. Obviously the D9 with Mares Nemo goes over the amount allowed.

LDS 1: D9

OR

LDS 2
a) AERIS Atmos Elite and a Mares Nemo
OR
b) Uwatec Smart Tec and a Mares Nemo

Anyone who has had experience with these computers or has a constructive opinion, I would appreciate a little insight.

Thanks,
Mike

There has been a recent recall of the D9—if you are thinking of getting a D9, make sure that you get one that is “post-recall.”

Michael Freeman:
Okay I have to make a choice within the next month on a dive computer.

LDS 1: D9

OR

LDS 2
a) AERIS Atmos Elite and a Mares Nemo
OR
b) Uwatec Smart Tec and a Mares Nemo

Why are you considering buying TWO computers? With one computer and a bottom timer you should have plenty of instrumentation. So if you really want/need all of the features of the D9 you may still have enough money left for a basic Uwatec bottom timer. So IMHO the choice should be (D9 OR Atmos Elite OR Mares Nemo OR Uwatec Smart Tec) AND Uwatec bottom timer.

I will not say anthing about the Atmos Elite, as I don't know it. I have dived with both Suunto and Uwatec computers, and have researched the Mares Nemo. I have a D9 on order, due for delivery any day now. I own a Suunto Mosquito and an Eon. My son dives with a Vyper.

Here are the main advantages of each model.

D9:
- only air integrated computer in your list
- has built-in compass
- allows staged decompression on EAN mixes up to 100% O2
- allows gas changes during the dive
- various additional "comfort" features

Uwatec Smart Pro:
- designed for deco and rebreather diving
- allows EAN mixes up to 100% O2, but no gas changes (i.e. no staged deco)
- variable ascent rates depending on depth
- large, easy to read display

Mares Nemo:
- cool design
- basically full-featured Nitrox-enabled computer

For the kind of diving that you describe, a Mares Nemo plus a bottom timer should do just fine. If air integration is important to you, consider an Uwatec Air Z Nitrox as a cheaper alternative to the D9. If you are planning to move into tech diving and staged deco, then a Suunto Vytec may fit the bill. If all of the D9 features seem worthwhile, then go for it. For me, it was the compass that did it...

vjongene:
D9: - only air integrated computer in your list

If all of the D9 features seem worthwhile, then go for it. For me, it was the compass that did it...

Actually, the Smart Tec is also an air integrated computer (3 gas capabilities with hoseless gas integration for up to 3 transmitters).

IMHO, the compass function on the D9 is a neat idea but if, for any reason, the computer fails you will also lose you compass. Not cool. Wouldn’t it be better to have a large (easy to read) analogue compass on your arm? Why risk the loss of your computer AND your compass.

If you want to carry two dive computers (for whatever reason), it is a good idea to have identical computers or at least two that utilise the same algorithm.

i would choose the mares nemo. since the handling is very easy.
but you'll gonna need the interface for your home computer too....

But I basically only know the mares dive computers.

I think the D9 is too expensive and why do you need a compass intergrated in the dive computer.....
They really had some problems with the d9 but it seems to be fixed.....
http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/D9Safety_Consumer.pdf

Vie:
Actually, the Smart Tec is also an air integrated computer (3 gas capabilities with hoseless gas integration for up to 3 transmitters).

Sorry, the Smart Tec is not yet described on the Uwatec Web site... You are right.

Vie:
IMHO, the compass function on the D9 is a neat idea but if, for any reason, the computer fails you will also lose you compass. Not cool. Wouldn’t it be better to have a large (easy to read) analogue compass on your arm? Why risk the loss of your computer AND your compass.

The same is true for any function provided by your computer. If you really need a compass, you should have an analog one handy (e.g. on a retractor). If you really need to know your tank pressure, you should have an SPG. Just nice to have everything in one location.

Vie:
If you want to carry two dive computers (for whatever reason), it is a good idea to have identical computers or at least two that utilise the same algorithm.

Absolutely agree. That's one of many reasons why carrying more than one computer doesn't really make sense, and I suggested a bottom timer instead.

The reason for the dual computers is because I lost my main AI computer and a non AI backup watch/computer back up. I am replacing stolen gear and the insurance gave me $0.40 on the $1.00 for my old equipment.

The way it works is they only give me full replacement cost if I actually replace the stolen equipment, thus I have to buy two computers otherwise they just don't pay.

Since the D9 is a computer, watch, and a compass. I can buy it as a replacement for all those stolen items, and almost reach the asking price. Note the D9 I'm looking at is post recall and ready to go.

The reason for the computer choices is because that is what my local LDS sale. I would prefer doing business with them for this type of purchase, plus they seem to be giving me good deals on the equipment.

I like the D9, but there is no way I'm going to wear that brick on my wrist out of the water around the town. The Nemo on the otherhand is more reasonable, so if I do a morning set of dives I can look down at the Nemo and know where I am at for my next dive without having to pull out my equipment.

I'm used to having two dive computers as a back up issue. I have had my old back up computer reset in the middle of a days dive. (reset=I was (trying to) showing off to a chick and hit the wrong set of buttons and cleared my morning dives by mistake. As you can imagine she was sooo impressed with my skills :) "Ya, I think you do this to .... opps ... that's not a good ..., Soooo I also have this other computer I'm more familure with... :) "

Any who, those are my choices, they all cost me the same amount. So really the question is; if someone stole your stuff and the insurance offered you those three choices, which would YOU take?

Michael Freeman:
The reason for the dual computers is because I lost my main AI computer and a non AI backup watch/computer back up. I am replacing stolen gear and the insurance gave me $0.40 on the $1.00 for my old equipment.

The way it works is they only give me full replacement cost if I actually replace the stolen equipment, thus I have to buy two computers otherwise they just don't pay.

Since the D9 is a computer, watch, and a compass. I can buy it as a replacement for all those stolen items, and almost reach the asking price. Note the D9 I'm looking at is post recall and ready to go.

The reason for the computer choices is because that is what my local LDS sale. I would prefer doing business with them for this type of purchase, plus they seem to be giving me good deals on the equipment.

I like the D9, but there is no way I'm going to wear that brick on my wrist out of the water around the town. The Nemo on the otherhand is more reasonable, so if I do a morning set of dives I can look down at the Nemo and know where I am at for my next dive without having to pull out my equipment.

I'm used to having two dive computers as a back up issue. I have had my old back up computer reset in the middle of a days dive. (reset=I was (trying to) showing off to a chick and hit the wrong set of buttons and cleared my morning dives by mistake. As you can imagine she was sooo impressed with my skills :) "Ya, I think you do this to .... opps ... that's not a good ..., Soooo I also have this other computer I'm more familure with... :) "

Any who, those are my choices, they all cost me the same amount. So really the question is; if someone stole your stuff and the insurance offered you those three choices, which would YOU take?

I bought a D-9 just a few weeks ago, and I love it! Absolutely LOVE it!

You stated its a brick :) I actually found that even though it does have a larger face than my watch, it's actually lighter than my normal watch!

I will keep diving it in the next few weeks and give you more feedback, but so far so good! I Love my D-9!

Michael Freeman:
The reason for the dual computers is because I lost my main AI computer and a non AI backup watch/computer back up.
[snip]
OK, now I understand (kind of).

None of the choices are bad. If you intend to go into real tech diving, I would advise to take the Smart Tec + Nemo. As a nice general purpose "everything in one" computer with a recreational slant, the D9 is hard to beat. I still do not like the idea of diving with two different computers, unless one is kept in Gauge mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom