why some people dont agree that dir is really dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
dir may be dir where they are from. FLORIDA. sure their ideals work just dandy in caves and warm water but sometimes you just cant use the same philosophies out here in cali where the water isnt so warm and the closest thing youll find that resembles a cave is a wreck. im not dissing dir in anyway , just letting everyone in on a little secret.

California Diver:
dir may be dir where they are from. FLORIDA. sure their ideals work just dandy in caves and warm water but sometimes you just cant use the same philosophies out here in cali where the water isnt so warm and the closest thing youll find that resembles a cave is a wreck. im not dissing dir in anyway , just letting everyone in on a little secret.
Do you plan on letting AG and the Seattle DIR people in on the secret?

California Diver:

CD ... I'm sure you're not dissing DIR ... but could you be a bit more specific?

Seems to me that DIR is DIR no matter where you go. The question is, is a given diver who takes the Fundamentals class really interested in "being DIR", or just more interested in using the class to improve their overall diving skills? Many (most?), don't really think of themselves as "DIR divers" ... just divers who want a solid set of skills to work with as they progress to more advanced venues. If those skills work for you, great. If not ... well, I can't think of anything I learned in DIR-F that I can't apply to cold-water diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

isn't this a no trolling zone?

www.scret.org does just fine diving DIR on cold wrecks. keep guessing, though, there are some good examples of diving where DIR doesn't apply, but that ain't it...

DIR doesn't work when it's cold?

Someone should tell Dan Mackay and the guys at NTD who are probably out ice diving as we speak. They won't be happy to hear that they're really doing everything wrong :wink:

California diver,
Pls do let us know where/hoe DIR does not apply to cold water and wrecks? I believe that the DIR skils/ set up do make sense. I am sure that if there is something that could be done better, all divers (regardless of DIR) would like to know.

well you arent going to see me sinking in my 7 mil and STEEL DOUBLES anytime soon. the philosophy of no diving doubles without a wetsuit isnt true out here , it is true however in warm water when only a thin layer is work to prevent abrasions. sometimes everything is so black and white with dir diving, just keep an open mind.

Let's see you swim those big steel doubles up from 150 feet in that wetsuit of yours with a busted bladder.

California Diver:
well you arent going to see me sinking in my 7 mil and STEEL DOUBLES anytime soon. the philosophy of no diving doubles without a wetsuit isnt true out here , it is true however in warm water when only a thin layer is work to prevent abrasions. sometimes everything is so black and white with dir diving, just keep an open mind.
What are you talking about??? What makes you think DIR advocates diving steel doubles in a wetsuit???

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom