GUE Instructor or DIR Diver in Southern Maine Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anth

Contributor
Reaction score
I am an officer in the undergraduate SCUBA Club at the University of New England, located in Biddeford, Maine. The club is currently in the process of planning a night of speakers with the topic of focus being safe diving. I am interested in having a GUE instructor or an avid diver who dives DIR as a speaker at this event to introduce the DIR philosophy.

I would very much appreciate any responses with information for individuals to contact, or anyone interested in giving such a presentation. Feel free to PM me. I have already attempted e-mailing GUE and have not as of yet received a reply.

Thank-you and DSAO,

Anthony

anth:
snipping .... I am interested in having a GUE instructor or an avid diver who dives DIR as a speaker at this event to introduce the DIR philosophy.

Thank-you and DSAO,

Anthony ... end snip

If you can't locate an instructor perhaps one of the SCUBAboard or DecoStop GUE trained divers would be willing to make a presentation?

Green_Manelishi:
If you can't locate an instructor perhaps one of the SCUBAboard or DecoStop GUE trained divers would be willing to make a presentation?

It would be wonderful if a GUE trained diver could make a presentation. I had not realized that the closest instructor was in New York! If any GUE trained divers are interested in speaking, feel free to reply on the board or via PM. To all who have responded on publicly and privately, thank-you, the information has been useful and is greatly appreciated.

Thank-you,

Anthony

I would be a little wary with this - while I am sure there are many GUE trained divers who are extremely knowledgable (about GUE and general diving) and balanced in their views, and very good speakers, there is also an unfortunate minority of people who will portray themselves as experts in GUE while really having very little understanding of the program, or focusing excessively on one area. Ensure you have someone who will present an accurate depiction of GUE, their beliefs, goals, achievements and approach to diving, otherwise you will be doing your audience and GUE a disservice. Maybe look for someone who several people can vouch for as being entertaining, knowledgable and balanced?

Roz Amos:
I would be a little wary with this - while I am sure there are many GUE trained divers who are extremely knowledgable (about GUE and general diving) and balanced in their views, and very good speakers, there is also an unfortunate minority of people who will portray themselves as experts in GUE while really having very little understanding of the program, or focusing excessively on one area. Ensure you have someone who will present an accurate depiction of GUE, their beliefs, goals, achievements and approach to diving, otherwise you will be doing your audience and GUE a disservice. Maybe look for someone who several people can vouch for as being entertaining, knowledgable and balanced?
What he said. There are too many 'zealots' out there who have taken one DIR-F, received a provisional pass, and done a small handful of dives yet somehow feel qualified to stand for GUE.

Actually, JJ just addressed this on Quest for someone overseas recently. He said to not be overly concerned as long as you are up front and honest with the people that you are not an instructor. Someone with a copy may be able to post his response. He even his services for some advice off line on how to set these events up.

Besides, the people who you have to be worried about (i.e. what people are referring to as zealots) typically don't act the same way in public. They usually hide behind the internet.

anth:
Good call Roz and FreeFloat, I'll be cautious.

Thank-you,

Anthony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom