spg placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
reading the AI computer thread, I thought about something I have been doing for years that is not DIR, but I find very useful. I didnt want to hijack the thread, but here is something that I would like to hear informed DIR opinions upon.

I clip my SPG to the left chest D-Ring rather than the left waist D-Ring. I find it shortens the hose and improves streamlining, it dosent interfere with anything I might want to clip off on ly left waist D-Ring (like stages) and even better gives me a "head down, hands free display" (all I have to do is look down) rather than unclip to bring the gauge into view.

does anyone else do this?? or is it just this heretic???

I clip it to my left waist D-Ring and with my Big Eye Mask, have no problem reading it, without unclipping.

cancun mark:
reading the AI computer thread, I thought about something I have been doing for years that is not DIR, but I find very useful. I didnt want to hijack the thread, but here is something that I would like to hear informed DIR opinions upon.

I clip my SPG to the left chest D-Ring rather than the left waist D-Ring. I find it shortens the hose and improves streamlining, it dosent interfere with anything I might want to clip off on ly left waist D-Ring (like stages) and even better gives me a "head down, hands free display" (all I have to do is look down) rather than unclip to bring the gauge into view.

Mark,

I do the same thing on my Halcyon, and to me it works perfect, I just look down and there it is right in front of my eyes. I've tried the DIR way, and for me it just doesn't work. (then again I have bad eyesight) I'm not saying it's the right way, but if it works for you. Viva La Scuba ! ! ! :D

cancun mark:

It is less streamlined there and "hangs down" more. Plus, it is less protected and would be in the way more with stages than on the lower clip. Once you start paying attention to your gas usage you don't need to check all of the time. You will know how much gas is left before you check.

You will surely roast in the fires of Hades for this heresy. Or not.

How is it a steamlining problem? I do it according to Hoyle and that seems to work extremely well for me; the HP hose travels more or less right along my left arm, making it very streamlined, and if I look down and slightly to the left I find I can read the thing directly, as long as the gauge is facing forward. Maybe the hose is the wrong size for you? Or - maybe you just need to adjust where on your waist the D-ring is.

Hi,

When I started to go down the DIR path I also clipped it up on my chest d-ring for the same reason as you. I could see it at a glance and I was having trouble clipping and unclipping. As I became proficient at clipping and became a better judge of my consumption (as I’m sure you are) I moved the spg to its rightful place… along my side and on to the waist d-ring.

Ok… so why, 1) streamlining… a bowed hose creates a bit more drag than one tucked along your side; 2) I find that it interferes with my secondary lights one of which is clipped off on the chest d-ring; 3) I found that is got in the way (a bit) of access to my inflator; 4) in an emergency if I had to ditch the rig (very unlikely) unclipping it from my chest would be an extra step; 5) I like keeping my chest clean and adding a hose and gauge to my chest just clutters up my profile.

It's all got to do with muscle memory. When mastering the SPG being clipped off to your waist ring, you won't have to re-learn it when you begin to put stages/deco bottles on your chest ring. It does also get in the way of deploying your secondary backup light.

Tollie:
... 1) streamlining… a bowed hose creates a bit more drag than one tucked along your side; 2) I find that it interferes with my secondary lights one of which is clipped off on the chest d-ring; 3) I found that is got in the way (a bit) of access to my inflator; 4) in an emergency if I had to ditch the rig (very unlikely) unclipping it from my chest would be an extra step; 5) I like keeping my chest clean and adding a hose and gauge to my chest just clutters up my profile.

I agree with you on #2 & #3 and they are reson enough for me to continue to wear it on the hip. It is very intuitive to reach down and unclip the gauge on the side. The rest are trivial arguments.

I'm up in the air on this one. It's easier to see on the shoulder, but since I'm still being a BAAAAADDDD boy and using my hoseless computer on my right post, the SPG is secondary.

I personally have thought about puting it on the shoulder ring, my buddy does. I just haven't really tried it.

I have found though that I frequently end up accidently clipping the SPG on the bottom of the stage cylinder bolt snap thinking that I have it on the D-ring.

I think it all boils down to personal preference.

Dave

ShakaZulu:
I clip it to my left waist D-Ring and with my Big Eye Mask, have no problem reading it, without unclipping.
Then your hose is too long! I could do this also until I got a 24'' hose. In my avatar pic you can see it sticking out a little too far, that was the 30'' hose that came with the guage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom