double bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigBoB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been following the DIR threads closely for about a year now and I have a question for you all that hasn't really been addressed. It doesn't seem that too many of you are in the tropics. Can you wear a dual bladder BCD (and still be DIR)? I have not tried it yet, but I am pretty sure that you would die, here in Guam, if you wore a drysuit.

Nope.

Not needed. Ask folks here about a "balanced rig".

I don't know why this keeps getting shot down as not being DIR, but it IS mentioned in the DIR-F book as a suitable setup for non-drysuit ocean diving.

Its been awhile since I read my copy but I find that very hard to belive!

There is no reason that you need double bladders, none at all.

Scubaroo:
I don't know why this keeps getting shot down as not being DIR, but it IS mentioned in the DIR-F book as a suitable setup for non-drysuit ocean diving.

Well...I certainly could be wrong...after all, I'm not DIR.

But it is my understanding that a drysuit is not considered a redundant bladder...in other words... PART of the idea of a balanced rig is to be able to swim up from depth with gear in place and full cylinders...in the event of a complete buoyancy failure.

Stephen Ash:
Well...I certainly could be wrong...after all, I'm not DIR.

But it is my understanding that a drysuit is not considered a redundant bladder...in other words... PART of the idea of a balanced rig is to be able to swim up from depth with gear in place and full cylinders...in the event of a complete buoyancy failure.

Yes, but in that situation, the drysuit does become emergency buoyancy. That's why the guideline of no steel tanks when diving wet. Full E8 130s would be negative 21 lbs. It would be tough to swim that up from depth if your bc failed at the beginning of a dive and you had no backup.

Scubaroo:

Only to say it is not needed.

A balanced rig means you don't need tons of air in your Bc to stay neutral. If you lose your BC completely, it only takes a little effort to swim up. In steel tanks, your drysuit is your backup inflation to give you enough lift. However, the main reason for a drysuit with steel tanks is that there is no way to achieve a balanced rig with them in a 3mm wetsuit. In a 3mm wetsuit for tropics level stuff, if you need weight, you wear enough ditchable weight that you can swim up your rig. With a balanced rig, you should be able to swim up a set of double al80s without difficulty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom