Sherwood Avid Pocket Snorkel Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought this snorkel because I like the idea of having one if I need it. It is super-compact and brilliantly designed and marketed.

I quit diving with a snorkel attached many years ago, and have regretted occasionally (2 times, to be exact).

Anyway, I wanted to try it in the pool, pulling it from the pocket, deploying it and attaching it while in the water, face down, swapping to regulator, etc.

All of that went fine.
However, I find it impossible to clear with any number of blows. the corrugations in the lower part that make it so easy to stow also prevent a flooded snorkel from completely clearing. Subsequent breaths are so wet as to be choking. I end up having to raise out of the water to drain the tube. A purge would have been a nice addition.

So, my hunt to find a suitable snorkeling snorkel continue. <sigh>

I couldn't concur more... I bought mine because I am required to have one on my person when working a class.

I think what we really need is just a better module pocket to attach a decent snorkel to a BC/Harness. I've tried many things, but ultimately have been unstatisfied. Eventually I'll figure it out...

Truth be told I've got an idea for one, but haven found anyone to stitch my prototype yet. If I every find anyone to do that, I'll post some pictures.

paulwall:
So, my hunt to find a suitable snorkeling snorkel continue. <sigh>
If you want an pocket snorkel, I use the Aqua Lung Snap... Folds up small and clears better than avid. Not a perfect snorkel but good for something that folds up so small.
Aqua Lung Snap

I also agree, although I have always kept my snorkel attached to my mask. I have always had it there to the point that I feel naked without it and I really don't notice it is there. I guess good habits are good habits.

But we use these Sherwood Avid BCD's at work and some of the other people I dive with have these pocket snorkels so I have experimented with it a little but like you guys I was not impressed and I will gladly stick to my regular snorkel.

The other divers I work with have never really commented on what they think of the pocket snorkel. I'm sure that's because they have never used it. I have never noticed any of them using it or even seen anyone with it out. Even in situations when they could use it it seems they just don't go to the trouble of deploying it.

When we are diving in strong currents my snorkel will sometimes present a problem as it wants to go with the current and break the seal on my mask or try to rip my mask off. In these cases I have found that the best thing is to unzip the top of my suit and tuck it down the front of my suit and zip it in place. It is not uncomfortable there and it is handy.

rje634:
If you want an pocket snorkel, I use the Aqua Lung Snap... Folds up small and clears better than avid. Not a perfect snorkel but good for something that folds up so small.
Aqua Lung Snap
I also take along an Aqualung Snap when diving, seems like the best compromise of the rollup/foldup types I've come across so far.

WVDiver:
I also agree, although I have always kept my snorkel attached to my mask. I have always had it there to the point that I feel naked without it and I really don't notice it is there. I guess good habits are good habits.

Interesting thing about why I stopped... I used to always have one attached. I was diving a wreck, inverted to stick my head in a hole, and didn't have my snorkel when I pulled my head back out....Didn't notice until I got back on the boat. Never found one that was comfortable underwater since then.

paulwall:
Interesting thing about why I stopped... I used to always have one attached. I was diving a wreck, inverted to stick my head in a hole, and didn't have my snorkel when I pulled my head back out....Didn't notice until I got back on the boat. Never found one that was comfortable underwater since then.

Paulwall

Look at the picture of me in my gallery on the boat. That is the snorkel that I use, a TUSA Hyperdry SP 130 http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/TBTS13.html

It's very nice, the attachment mechanism is unique and I don't think there is anyway it could come off inadvertently.

JJP161:
How does the Apollo Flex Snorkel compare?
2266.jpg

vs.

2281.gif

I haven't died with the Apollo, but it looks "bulkier" when stored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom