STA for warm water diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard somepeople say that they like to use the STA on the pioneer for the added satability, while others like it without. It's really your call.

The Halcyon "light" STA weighs like 1/2 pound or so (I believe) so it does not really add a significant amount of weight...

That depends on you. When I dive warm water, I use a 3mm wetsuit, stainless plate, Al80 tank and require no extra lead....if you need lead, your back might be a good place to put it. If you don't, you don't.

Halcyon's unweighted STA is 2# negative, the weighted version is 6# negative. But with the Pioneer wing, an STA is not required; that's what those small rods are for. My father loves using his weighted STA in warm water, and I prefer going without any STA.

Yes, there is room for some personal preference in DIR :wink:

I would definitely not use the STA if it made you overweighted however.

mer:
Halcyon's unweighted STA is 2# negative, the weighted version is 6# negative. But with the Pioneer wing, an STA is not required; that's what those small rods are for. My father loves using his weighted STA in warm water, and I prefer going without any STA.

Yes, there is room for some personal preference in DIR :wink:

I would definitely not use the STA if it made you overweighted however.

But isn't that 2# including the buckles? In that case, you still need to use bands for the tank without STA, and the only difference is the metal STA bracket itself, which is really thin...I would guess it is about 1/2 to 3/4 #...No?

jagfish:
But isn't that 2# including the buckles? In that case, you still need to use bands for the tank without STA, and the only difference is the metal STA bracket itself, which is really thin...I would guess it is about 1/2 to 3/4 #...No?

I don't know exactly how Halcyon calculated the buoyancy, but that's what I've seen.

The unweighted STA is made of steel, think about how much steel is in it compared to a six pound BP, seems about right that it would be 2# negative.

I had one of the old school Pioneer 27 wings. The new one has the built-in STA. Am I understanding that even with the new wing you can put an STA on it?

The one problem is the SS bolts are now too long if I don't use the STA...

BTW, you can get shorter bolts at Lowe's/Home Depot. Just be sure you get stainless steel ones.

That was quick - also just read the manual and see they suggest no bolts when using without the STA - just running the cam bands thru the BP and Wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom