Going to get OW certified in Australia, do I need an Aussie physical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EZHOOPS

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I cannot make my open water cert here in michigan and I'm going to need to have it done in Australia. I was told that I might have to have an aussie physical, nay truth to that?

what Ricky said - yep

where are you doing your OW? most dive shops should be able to give you a list of doctors that can do the exam - but you will have to pay for the visit

how does this all work? Since I'm assuming I don't have insurance in AUS, am I going to have to pay an office visit and a physical on top of that?

Also what is involved in the physical? the typical turn your head and cough?

hi Ez, are you learning to dive in Qld??? their markets are tourist so ask them exactly as im sure they will have a deal with a local doctor for exams and i expect the doctor would have a flat fee for you to pay them for the exam.

geez... exam was a long time ago. usual weight, heart, ears, nose and throat exam... cant really remember but it was no drama and took about 30mins

not sure where I'll do it. My 1st stop is in Melbourne and I just found a few shops over there but not sure if there SSI. I joined this forum and asked around hopefully it will help
http://www.underwater.com.au/

OW in Melbourne! ummmm, its our winter btw - oh, but then again youre from Michigan so i suppose you gotta get use to cold water anyway :)

my local is www.diveoz.com.au and if you ask there someone will give you a name of a shop. they will ask where in melbourne you are staying though as Sydney and Melb are big towns.

im guesing you wil have to pay between $50 to $120AUD for a doctors visit - but ask the shop if they have any doctors they suggest.

if you coming to Sydney, about 1 hour south is Shell Harbour (near Wollongong), a nice part of the world, good dives and they are SSI (Leisure Coast Dive with Ron and Julie Duncan).

thanks, if it doesn't work out in melbourne I'll plan on doing it in sydney

Hi EZHOOPS,

Yes, you do. You'll need to undergo an scuba medical detailed in Australian Standard AS4005.1. Generally, properly done dive medicals from a country other than OZ will be accepted provided that they explicitly state they are in conformance with and are reported in a format consistent with that standard.

The particulars of AS4005.1 are found as an appendix to "Training and certification of recreational divers - Minimum entry-level SCUBA diving" http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/script...AS002706431346. This text can be purchased at a modest price.

As regards payment, you will be responsible for the entire amount at the time of service.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc, I was able to get certified here in michigan just the other day, so I should be all set as far as that goes.

thanks for your help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom