What is a good dive????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so my bottom time is low at the moment. What would be considered a good dive? Is it depth and time? or just time? or what you find?

...........in which there are no injuries, or deaths. Close calls are ok because they help us learn and improve.

DSSW,

WWW™

I agree with the first part of the reply but I do not agree with your statement that 'close calls are ok because they help us learn and improve'. If proper training and pre-dive buddy checks have taken place and nothing 'silly' has been done during the dive there should be no need for close calls.
I suppose there could be the exception of gear failure but regular servicing and care should elliminate this.

Hey Fishkiller & all...

The perfect dive has nothing to do with depth and time. Give me a thrill of seeing something new, or cool. Let me understand our world a tad better. Let me experience some of the history of the sea. There will always be someone faster, who can stay down longer, and go deeper. The technical aspects of diving are not an end to themselves for me... they are not why I go diving.

Pete from Orlando...

A good dive is when you have a great time, with great people. Diving is getting as close to nature and your creator as humanly possible. The only really bad dive is low VIS.

I agree with the first part, but not necessarily the last part. Depends on how you define "low vis". I learned to dive in Puget Sound where average vis is 15-20ft, which would be considered bad vis or even undiveable by at least a few of my new buddies in south Flor-i-duh. I can only remember one or two times that a dive in the NW was aborted due to "bad" vis, which in those cases was 6 inches to a foot. Here's how I define a good dive:

At least 15-20ft of vis.
Lots of interesting marine life.
30 minutes or better of bottom time.
No long swims to or from point of entry, be it shore or boat.
Flat seas.
No currents to fight.
No gear humps.
No sea-sickness.
No bends.
No equipment failures or hassles.
Followed up with a dive "debriefing" consisting of good food, good beer, good friends, good belly laugh.
Top it all off with a nice long nap as the gear is soaking in fresh water.
Ahhh....

Originally posted by darkwing
A good dive is when you have a great time, with great people. Diving is getting as close to nature and your creator as humanly possible. The only really bad dive is low VIS.

Neither! A good dive occurs at 15 feet or 130 ft and more! Everybody that dives dives for their own reasons. Whether it's to dive to see pretty fish and coral reefs or to dive a long sunken wreck or to explore a deep cave or just to dive for the pure enjoyment of breathing underwater.. and maybe all of the above!... a good dive is a good dive. And probably part of that good dive would include clearing your mask alot because you smiled too much?! And, Greg G, the icing on the cake is the good friends and belly laughs after... not to mention the nap! Casey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom