Ear Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Troutbuster

Registered
Reaction score
OK folks I really need some help here. As I have mentioned before I am new to diving but it is a sport that I wished that I had gotten into sooner. I have finished all but one of my open water dives to complete my certification but have discovered that I have a problem with one of my ears. It seems like I get water in my ear that will not go away or dry up for several days. This last round I think I have an ear infection from it. I know that I can not be the only person in the world to experience this problem so I could really use some advice. I do not want to give up diving before I even get started! I have searched the internet for devices that can help with keeping the water out. I know that standard ear plugs are not to be used but I ran across two other items. One is the ProEar mask and the other is a set of vented ear plugs. Any help would be appreciated.:(

I use a product called Swim-Ear, alcohol based ear drops. You put a few drops into your ear after diving and it drys up the water in there. It relieves trapped water as well.

However, dont use if you have an ear infection (not that you should be diving if you do!) or have a spot or insect bite in the outer ear because it will sting like crazy.

Newbie here too! You just described my problem. I did the swimmers ear drops thinking the same thing. But it wasn't fluid in my ears. I realized that it was from not equalizing my ears enough as I descended.

Hi TB,

Might be worth getting the doc to syringe your ears out. If you have excess wax in there it can be difficult for the water to escape. I has the same problem with normal surface swimming a few years ago and it made a massive difference.

All the best,

Mark

Most dive shops have a product called Docs Pro Plugs designed for diving. I have not personally tried them. I think i would see an ENT doc first.

Hi there,
Two things:
- you can make a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% water and put generously in your hear after each dive, this keeps the natural acidity of your hear and avoid infection.
- to dry, i use a toilet paper that i roll between my fingers to makes as a cone then put in my ear (slowly and cautiously!) until it absorb the water.

Bonne plongee!

If you think that you have an actual ear infection, you need to go see your doctor. Nothing you can buy OTC or cook up at home will clear up a bad case of otitis externa (swimmer's ear) and it will only continue to get worse as time goes by. Symptoms of such an infection would be... pain (especially when you touch your ear), itching, sometimes drainage and decreased hearing or hearing loss. If you have any of these symptoms, or your ear is still troubling you in some other way, please stay out of the water and get to the doctor's office. It's not worth the risk... and I'm speaking from personal experience... I had to learn this lesson the hard way!

gregorio:
Hi there,
Two things:
- you can make a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% water and put generously in your hear after each dive, this keeps the natural acidity of your hear and avoid infection.
- to dry, i use a toilet paper that i roll between my fingers to makes as a cone then put in my ear (slowly and cautiously!) until it absorb the water.

Bonne plongee!

of course water and vinegar is to prevent swimer's ear not to cure it, i'm not a doctor...

IMHO, here is a suggested order to help with your problem;
1. See a doctor, and verify your current condition. Providing that prooves OK, Then
2. Try Docs ProPlugs. I use them, they do not "help" to equalize, they reduce or even eliminate water entering the ears so you don't need to...
3. Use the vinegar/alcohol mixture to keep your ears healthy as often.

scubaaaronh:
Most dive shops have a product called Docs Pro Plugs designed for diving. I have not personally tried them. I think i would see an ENT doc first.
I've been using these for about 3 months and 70 dives. My hearing had begun to feel "muffled" after weekends of frequent diving (water temps had been 49 to 57F) The vented Docs Pro Plugs keep the cold water away from my ear drums, and have solved the problem. Easy to wear and comfortable. Very little reduction in hearing acuity. I don't know why repeated direct exposure to cold water was a problem. (no problems during summers.) At the same time, I now pay close attention to equalize while still on the surface, and with every breath as I descend. I think that letting the pressure build up was also more stressful on my ears.

And for water trapped against the outside of my eardrum?
As long as you DON'T HAVE AN EAR INFECTION: 70% EtOH... plain ol' isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol. Dropper it into the offending ear, then tip head and let it drain out. It breaks the surface tension of the drop of water that was clinging to the angle against the eardrum.

The 50/50 vinegar mix never worked for me... I suffered two external ear infections when I was surfing all the time while trying this mix. Infections stopped when I switched to applying 70% when I felt water trapped there.

Good luck... See a doc immediately when you feel pain or signs of infection.
If they say "dive less", or "play in the water less"... go see a different doc.:D

Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom