Shamu drags trainer underwater....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
Ok... I'm not sure exactly where to post this... here, marine ecosystems, accidents/incidents... so, mods, if you wanna move it to a better place, then go for it. :D

Check this out:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061130/ap_on_re_us/seaworld_whale_attack

Now... I wouldn't call this an attack at all, but Shamu in Sea World San Diego apparently dragged a trainer underwater by his foot... twice! The trainer is hospitalized but "ok", per the media.

Well... I love visiting Sea World and the conservation and rehab that they provide to marine life is amazing. But, when these animals have had enough, then they've had enough! I think Shamu wanted a day off!:wink:

I think when a WILD ANIMAL says no it means no :D

HMM does anyone know what happens to a wild bear when they attack a hiker?

Yeah... the next "visible" bear usually gets blamed as the culprit and it's killed. Sad really. I really doubt that's what's in Shamu's future, but I bet the trainers will be much more vigiliant around him now.... and when he "says no", I'll bet they take heed!

On the link that I provided, at the left side of the page, there's 2 videos that you can watch. The videos do NOT show the whale acting aggressive. One video doesn't show a whole lot... and the other is from a "spectator's" view and shows the whale swimming slowly around the pool with the trainer calmly by Shamu's head... but obviously not able to swim away. So, I'm assuming that the whale still had his foot in the trainers mouth.

not the video in yahoo but I found this on youtube I love the narrator. . .

Now that looks more like an "attack" though I would say that the whale just wanted her out of it's territory... and tossed her around a bit to be sure she didn't come back!

The narrator is, uh, interesting! Not to mention the suspenseful background music. "Annette is struggling for air"... though she's yelling! And she "collapses in shock and is taken to the hospital where she receives over 100 stitches".... Where? I didn't see any gaping bloody wounds! Ok, so it could be small puncture wounds from individual teeth... again, an interesting narrator! LOL

riding shamu for a publicity stunt? :no

Wasn't there a similar story/video posted awhile back about a photog who was pulled down,while snorkling, by a whale?

I'm no biologist/annimal behav. expert but I think that if there was any 'intent' by these animals to harm, she would be missing a leg and we would have a few drownings.

My bet is we are seeing a 'playing' behaviour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom