Spare air or pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Central Fla

Contributor
Reaction score
This is not a thread on if, it's a thread on which. I am just starting to spearfish and have noticed it is normal to drift apart and give each other room. For that reason I want a secondary air source but I need help in deciding which one. I will be diving in Florida waters for the most part as an advanced diver, cost is not a huge factor. I was looking at spare air, compact small, 3 cubic feet, 57 breathes, the other choice is a pony bottle, smallest about 6 cubic feet and I would guess twice the breathes. I would truly appreciate any spare air stories and experience and thoughts on these or any other secondary choices. My original choice for spare air is it's compact size and keeping my gear (a third reg) from being complicated and heavy.

Also, in the fire service we had a device called a pass device, it alerts others by a loud tone that you have issues, any such device in diving?

Thanks to all
Central Fla

P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone

This could go on a LONG time.

FWIW:- Spare air == useless.
Pony == could save you.

Spare air is better than no air. It can help you thru a CESA. A pony bottle totally eliminates the need to perform a CESA. You can make a normal, completely safe, ascent. If the pony does not interfere with your hunting and travel (luggage constrainst) is not an issue, the pony makes better sense.

57 breaths? Let’s see now, is that for a 5’ tall 90 pounder that is very calm at 10’ or for a 400 pounder that is near panic at 100’? That is total BS if they are advertising that or an LDS is trying to convince you of that.:shakehead

IMHO a Spare Air being used anywhere other than a paper weight or in a Bond movie is just asking for trouble.

Gary D.

String it will help me if you tell me why spare air is useless.

How long will a pony 6cf last??

Thanks

Funny. I was just trying to decide between a pony bottle and doubles for more air....

LOL

There are many threads on this. A SpareAir in my opinion, does not have enough gas capacity to get you safely to the surface. Remember, the spare air holds 57 breaths on the surface, not a depth. I will dive with a 13cf on my tank, or a 19cf bottle slung.

As far as an underwater noisemaker - there are several that work well (as far as making underwater noise) but no one ever seems to know what it is, or where it's coming from.

Central Fla:
String it will help me if you tell me why spare air is useless.

How long will a pony 6cf last??

Thanks

Ive got no idea what 6 CF is. doesnt sound like a lot.

Ive never seen a pony smaller than 3 litres/232 bar so basing "pony" decision on that.

A spare air MAY get you to the surface, almost certainly rapidly, definately without a safety stop, possibly bend and/or embolised.

A 3l pony will get you to the surface from a <25m dive at a normal rate with a safety stop.

Why people even consider using something that was never designed for the job i dont know. Spare air was never designed for diving.

Back
Top Bottom