More Tipping Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am diving in Florida in a week. I arranged the trip through a PADI shop in the dive area, which has hooked me up with a boat not owned or operated by the shop. I have read other threads that indicate I should tip the DM and boat Captain $5 per tank, but do I also tip the PADI shop that arranged for the excursion? If so, how much? I am also going out on two two-tank trips with the same outfit the same day. Do I tip at the end of each dive, each trip, or the end of the day? Thanks for any input.

Tip the boat only. Most crews share tips. Tip minimum $5 per tank. If you got better than average service or if they saved your $2000 camera from the drink tip accordingly. Tip at the end of each trip as crew members may not be the same on each trip.

I tip the captain and assume he will share with the crew. Last time I think I actually tipped $10 per tank.

Tip the boat crew no need to tip the shop, personally I'd be tipping somewhere between 15 & 20% of the cost of the dives.

Tip according to service. I have tipped over 15 bucks per tank but have also left no tip at all. If you tip no matter how poor the service it will just get worse. I found If i'm with the same outfit for a couple days to tip big the first day, It usually gets you great service the rest of the trip.

Thanks for the helpful information! Hopefully the service will be great.

Tip the crew not the shop. Depends on the crew and service. In my opinion a crew earns a tip it should not be a given. Good service good tip, Bad service no tip.

In Florida (at least the Keys), when you tip the Captain, he will share with the Crew member (Dive Master). If you have a guide, or wish to "thank" your instructor--that tip should be given to him/her. I don't think I can think of an instance when a tip to the shop was given, offered or accepted

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom