mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi yesterday i accidentally bit off one side of the regulator mouthpiece... you know the little plastic part that goes into your mouth and you clamp down on it.. well are these expensive and replaceable??? i shouldnt think they cost too much ??

Usualy run you 5 to 20 bucks depending on quality . Also good idea to keep a spair in a save dive kit as they tend to split around the tiestrap.

I've heard great reports about the JAX http://www.scubamarket.com/eng/snja0001.php a mouthpiece that you mould to fit your mouth, I believe the last forever and ever. When my mouthpiece breaks next this is what i'll be spening my money on.

I just put Seacure mouthpieces on all my second stages and my wifes second stage. You mold them to your mouth after dipping them in hot water like the old sports mouthguards. They are amazing. They are longer than the regular mouth guards and once you mould them to your mouth, they are amazingly comfortable and keep the second stage very stable in your mouth. We love them. Too bad they don't come in black! I think the Jax is the same type of mouthpiece. They are also pretty much indestructable.

Cheers,

Get yourself a DiveRite standard 'long bite' mouthpiece.....super fit.

I agree, Sea-Cure are the best.....I wouldn't dive without mine now, they are so comfortable, and durable. I used to go through 2 or 3 mouthpieces a year, but have had my Sea-Cure for 5 years now and it's still as good as new.
One thing though....if using a Sea-Cure mouthpiece, I wouldn't recommend using a BCD integrated Octo. I know of an instance (personally know both divers), where 2 divers had an OOA, and because he had his Octo integrated into his BCD inflator, he took the reg out of his mouth and passed it to his buddy. She was much smaller than he, and when she put the Sea-Cure mouthpiece into her mouth, kept gagging on it as it was too big for her. He ended up taking his reg back, and giving her his Octo. They settled onto the bottom, deflated his BCD completely, and then used her BCD to get them to the surface. A couple of days later, he was at the shop buying a new Octo and getting rid of the BCD integrated unit.
Otherwise, a regular mouthpiece can be had for as little as $5.
C-Dawg

I dive with a SeaCure and even though I like it and will keep it - I find it much harder to equalize using one. My best equalization method is moving the jaw and swallowing.

I bought a seacure, as my jaw is very small, and standard mouth pieces will cause "sores" on the gum line below my teeth.

I have suffered these sores on 1/2 of the rentals, and my old mouthpiece of my own reg.

I agree sea cure is the best for preventing jaw fatigue and abrasion in the mouth.

One bit of caution, follow the instruction to the T.. Don't squeeze or push on the holder, as you can mess up the female end that slip over your regulator male fitting. I think their instruction could be clearer.

ok lol just making sure about that cuz it was a borrowed reg and didnt want to get into too much trouble.. but now im defiantely gonna look into the seacure mouthpieces sounds like exactly what i need cuz i bite the hell outta my mouthpieces

jaybombs25:
hi yesterday i accidentally bit off one side of the regulator mouthpiece... you know the little plastic part that goes into your mouth and you clamp down on it.. well are these expensive and replaceable??? i shouldnt think they cost too much ??

Didn't your open water class or manual cover that? If not your instructor really let you down. What else did he miss?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom