Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hp tank fills

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

hp tank fills

has anyone bought a hp( 3442 psi) tank only to find your local dive shop cant fill it to the rated pressure? so in order for me to get 100cf or close i have to buy a hp 120

and also am i more likely NOT to get a hot fill with 3000psi in my rated 3442 tank due to less heat buildup due to not packing as tight?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Yes,it's common for HP tanks not to be filled to rated pressure especially since to get it to 3450 they need to fill to around 3800 and let it cool.

Just tell yourself you have an LP95 (95 cubes @ 2640) and you are getting an overfill.

Yes, a fill to 3000psi will be a cooler fill all things being equal.
    Considering an open water class? Have you read this? Please PM me before you sign up.

Rand McNeely

MEH...

1.2345678901234568e+29

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Is this because there banks couldn't support it at the time or they can't pump that high?
    ~John

Photographer

Click

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I've been diving with PST HP tanks for a while (rated to 3442 psi - technically not high pressure, but certainly higher than the 3000 we typically see in AL tanks). The issues really depend on the shop you fill at.

There are a handful of shops that I can fill at, depending where I am going and most of them (except one) keep their banks sufficient to fill to the rated pressure. Of course, if there is insufficient pressure to fill to 3442, you're going to end up short.

The issue with the shops that do have sufficient pressure in their banks is the time required to do a proper fill. As already mentioned, you could fill it to 3800 psi and let it cool (though you're not really supposed to do that). So to get a proper fill to the rated pressure does require a bit of time which some shops may not be willing to spend, so you end up short of the rated pressure. How short depends on how quick they fill (and to how much) and let you go.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

www.warrenlophotography.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Quote Originally Posted by salt h20
    has anyone bought a hp( 3442 psi) tank only to find your local dive shop cant fill it to the rated pressure? so in order for me to get 100cf or close i have to buy a hp 120

and also am i more likely NOT to get a hot fill with 3000psi in my rated 3442 tank due to less heat buildup due to not packing as tight?
    My LDS is able to fill my HP 100 without a problem.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos

It's not that they can't it's that they want. Most compressure's are rated to 4000 or 5000 Psi
    Jaime

Just another average diver

Homo Bonae Voluntatis
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    No problems getting HP tanks filled. I am somewhat surprised your LDS can't do it...... most outfits can easily fill to 4K psi. Maybe he doesn't want to? Have you asked why he can not fill to the rated pressure?
    Meng-Tze

Registered

Will defenestrate for cash

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I have not had a 'rated' fill on my Worthington HP 120s (3442psi) outside of cave country. I have seen as high as 3100 locally, but no more.
    "Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket and was everybody dancing on the casket"? TMBG

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    This is why I went with lp 95's. You can get 95++ cubic feet
    Jaime

Just another average diver

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    All of the shop around here have the capability. Willingness or ability of the fill person to pull it off is the big wild card. There are shops and especially boats that cannot do a pseudo HP or HP fill.

If it's possible leaving the tank over night to get a fill, cool and top off will get you there. A careful fill (bleeding in over about 15 minutes) to about 200 PSI over will get you where you want to be. Lots of stuff can effect the results. Some shops don't bank HP or at times will top-off with hot gas right from the compressor. If you hit the shop early and they happen to have cold full banks you can get very nice results.

Thats the bottom line. Technique can alleviate a lot of the difficulty but the physics are inescapable.

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast