Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephhhhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many dives did you have when you did your DM and Instructor?
Would you recommend to do the Instru right after the DM without waiting a long time.

Steph

I have done about 120 dives in a great number of diffenerent conditions and I have only just started my DM coruse.

I would suggest to anyone to get as much exposure to differnet teaching styles, conditions and the like before becoming a DM or Inst. This will make you a better DM or Inst and will be able to see problems before they happen and to see those who need a little more help but wont ask for it.

For PADI you need 60 dives to complete your DM. You can start the program with 20 logged dives. For the Instructor program you can start with 60 logged dives, but you need 100 to take the Instructor exam. The more dive experience the better.

I started DM somewhere around 25 dives. Looking back, that number is way to low. I finished DM somewhere around 150-160. (with adv. nitrox and cave in between). One day, when I am ready to, I'll get the instructor rating. (and its not dive expierence to why I haven't done it)

I got my DM somewhere around 100 dives and instructor somewhere around 200. I do recommend waiting between the 2 and getting some experience. It will help you to observe other instructors and decide what you want to use and what you don't want to use. Unless you have some teaching experience, I also recommend waiting longer. I had about 10 years teaching experience when I become a dive instructor.

My certification for each level was very similar to Dive aholic just about 100 dives for my DM and almost 200 for instructor. I also agree it's nothing to rush to finish, take your time as DM candidate and absorb the info and experience the instructors have to offer. Then if you move on you'll be far more prepared.

Also as a candidate i was chomping at the bit to assist i spent almost every weekend at the lake and at least one day a week in the pool. My folder was stuffed with evaluation sheets, it was almost as thick as WAR AND PEACE.

I'm just hitting 100 logged dives (and lots more fun in the pool, but who counts that... unless it's nemo33 :D), and as soon as my LDS starts up another DM class, I plan to be in it. They like their DMs-to-be to begin the class with at least 100 logged dives, as they consider you'll lead better if you've been around a bit.

I believe they require 200 dives to begin instructor, which means you basically can do DM one year and instructor the next, if you're active enough diving.

hi walter,

what is silver & gold ?

I did my DM following my classes... on a trip of 6 months to asia.
Looking back, not the greatest thing, i was so proud of my MSD until i realized when i got back to switzerland... what other type of diving was about, and what i should have received during my education program (including all the DM manuals etc).

I had my 150 dives when i started my IDC/IE process.

I would say that it's really a question of what you do as a DM, and where you do it. 60 dives in quarries with 1m visibility, 4-5°C waters, dry suit etc, with major part down to 30-40m is nothing like diving in 40-60m visibility, 26°C waters crystal blue and current free places. This is where i place the location and type of dive in experience for the more or less needed. but i totally agree with "the more the better" ... if you stick to your standards manual and learn about loads of external things too as a dm or instructor... it's just added value.

I would also add that the best thing to do between DM and instructor, is the DSD Leader, you can get used to the process of taking people who have no experience and dive with them.

Another excellent method to start learning, is simply assisting the Instructor, through confined water dives, helping out on the practice skills (after instructor demo, to get the new divers to improve their skills before validation). And following the theory sessions, during this time constantly pursuing the dive education for yourself (reading, boards, diving, training...).

Got my DM after 110 dives My diving was mainly cold and very cold conditions. Current Low vis. no vis lost of vis...buth the conditions were varied. I am contimplating going the instructor way but I will do this next year. This year I am more involved with OW course and working with variuos instructors.

A ellow in our DM course started off with 60 dives and did not have his own gear. He quickly realized he needed to get gear...finished his DM and went right to instructor. Not a wise choice bcause his diving skills were not up to par. His teaching and his knowledge were very good..but the skills were far behind.

Get as much diving in befor taking the DM. Wait, dive somemore and if you can work in a dive shop..learn and then go towards your instructor rating..if that is your choice.

Back
Top Bottom