Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paradicio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

Couldn't find a Puerto Rico section, so I'm posting here...

My family is planning a reunion this year in Puerto Rico (late June early July). I am wondering if anyone here has dove Puerto Rico and could recommend some good spots. Also if anyone could recommend some good charters on the island I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Couldn't find a Puerto Rico section, so I'm posting here...

My family is planning a reunion this year in Puerto Rico (late June early July). I am wondering if anyone here has dove Puerto Rico and could recommend some good spots. Also if anyone could recommend some good charters on the island I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

I dove La Parguera in the southwest corner of Puerto Rico. I see from my log book that I dove Efra's Wall and Coral Gardens, both nice dives. It was 83 degree water temperature in June. Unfortunately, I didn't note what dive op I used.

Hope that helps some.

Google it.

Google it.

You are a genius! Of course I "Yahoo'd" it (I don't use Google), I'm looking to get some first hand experience on the sites and charters. :14:

I dove Parguera with Parguera divers. Very nice. Make sure to visit wall for the first dive. There are many sites on the wall, all good and all somewhat similar. Second dive is usually very impressive ledge (drops from 50 to 70 feet). Very healthy soft corals. Dominant fish: black durgon. Some hotels operators take both divers and snorkelers, so limited to a shallow reefs which, I heard, not as nice. Also, Parguera is pretty far away from San Juan what is most likely place for family vacation.

I dove Parguera with Parguera divers. Very nice. Make sure to visit wall for the first dive. There are many sites on the wall, all good and all somewhat similar. Second dive is usually very impressive ledge (drops from 50 to 70 feet). Very healthy soft corals. Dominant fish: black durgon. Some hotels operators take both divers and snorkelers, so limited to a shallow reefs which, I heard, not as nice. Also, Parguera is pretty far away from San Juan what is most likely place for family vacation.

I remember now. I dove with Parguera divers also. I had to get up early and drive all the way across the island from San Juan to make the boat on time. Its not a very long drive until you factor in the speed limit of about 35 MPH for much of it. Also check out the Bioluminescent bay in Parguera at night on that side of the island.

You may want to read my report on our trip to PR last November.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...ort-puerto-rico-1st-week-november-2007-a.html

It was my first diving trip back in a couple of decades. I started diving in Puerto Rico in the early 70’s, but haven’t being back for a wile…big mistake. There is some great diving.

We dove near San Juan, also in Aguadilla, in Parguera (with two of the three dive operators), in Desecheo Island (of Rincon), and in Fajardo.

In Parguera, I would highly recommend West Divers…say hi to Victor from me if you talk to him.

Desecheo is another must do dive. Taino Divers is the only operator that takes you there and they have a great setup. Again tell Carson I said hi.

Fajardo is the closest and most convenient to San Juan for some very good diving, and that is where I did most of my diving as a kid, but the best is by far on Parguera and Desecheo.

Vieques and Culebra are also very good, but they are also islands that require a bit more time to get to them.

Look under the greater Antilles as Damselfish mentioned.
You may find a few more links that may help you:
ScubaBoard - Greater Antilles

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/210560-diving-puerto-rico.html

I have a related query. I may be going to PR in April. I'd like to dive on a Monday morning, and then get back to San Juan by about 4pm. (I have a meeting in San Juan that night at 7pm, and I would need to return the rental car, check into the hotel, shower, eat, etc. before the meeting.)

Ideally, I'd like to go to Desecheo. Will that work for this schedule? What other good options are out there? I can spend Sunday night close to the diving to make it easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom