How important is a log book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelikinMan

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I started diving in 2005. Got my OW during my honeymoon. Got my AOW a year and a half later. Rough dive history:

10 dives in Jamaica, March 2005 (Sandals Whitehouse) OW
10 dives in St. Lucia, March 2006 (Sandals Grande)
12 dives in Caye Caulker, Belize, July 2006 (Belize Diving Services) AOW
12 dives in Cozumel, March 2007 (Blue XTC Diving)

But I never kept a log book. Started the log book and then just ended up writing a date, the place and a couple of other pieces of info. Didn't really think it was a big deal, especially after I got my AOW.

So now I am thinking about taking scuba seriously - professionally seriously - and going to get my divemaster within the next 2 years.

Do I need to maintain a log book? If so, could I go back and just reconstruct it?

It is a superb reference for use in preparation for upcoming dives- thermal protection needed vs. predicted water temperature, weights needed for that varying thermal protection... and so on.

It is an excellent source for the Doctor at the hyperbaric chamber, and I say this with all sincerity.

It's a good place to log the critters that you spot, equivelant to the "life book" of bird watchers".

Some dive ops may stamp their feet and want to see it, others won't care. You got a c-card, you're diving. You'll need to show x number of logged dives for future more advanced certifications.

Chicks do not dig them, so what's the point ?

I find my log book very nice to have. With different gear combos, I can refer to past dives to see the amount of weight I need. I note kick count too with different combos.

I quit carrying my log book when it got too wet, and stuck pages didn't want to come unstuck. I photocopied the old log book, and put it away. My new log book is only copied pages.

When I go diving, I bring loose leaf log book pages that I punched holes in. I have someone sign the pages, then go home and fill in the details. I custom made my sheet, so it has all different environments written, all I have to do is circle a bunch of letters, and the dive info is made. Saves lots of time.

I didn't log alot of dives either, but still logged 90% of my dives. I think someone has suggested before, start a dive book dated on the day you got your AOW card. Number that with the minimum of dives your AOW card required. Then add documentation from dive buddies that can verify your other dives by either email or fax. At least it will get you a good solid base to build your other dives from.

Yes you have to be able to document your logged dives to turn pro. You can go back and reconstruct.

I still keep a log book and I've been diving since 65. My class dives are just logged as dates and basic dive numbers but I love tracking all of my recreational dives still. When I take a trip I purchase a log book or two just for that one trip. So some log books have over a hundred dives in them and one I know only has 13 dives as we had some storms to deal with.

Still enjoyable to go back through.

When you're new it's important for tracking weights and gear.

didnt log a dive for years, like 10 or moreyears. my son learned to dive this year and i thought i would set a good example. now i regret not logging all of those dives.

Sounds like I need to go back and reconstruct then. Good thing I don't have that many dives under my belt.

I once had a dive con candidate that signed up for the course at the urging of the shop owner. Imagine the concerns when on night one we discovered that she hadn't done a single speciality and had logged about 10 dives.

I really like my log book. I just record the information that's important to me, I don't follow any set out patterns really.

For professional level dealing with clients and students, a written record is not a bad thing :wink:

The specifics on weighting, type of cylinder used, EAN mix (if using Nitrox) and exposure protection make a logbook a very handy reference tool.
If you are thinking about going pro then it makes even more sense. I just started my IDC and one of the first bits of paperwork the Course Director had to sign off was that I had at least 100 logged dives.
So take the time and reconstruct. It will pay you dividends down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom