How Afraid are you of Titan Triggers?

How Afraid are you of Titan Triggers?

• I check under my bed and in my closet before I go to sleep.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I give them a W I D E berth.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • If they take an interest in me I find something different to do.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • As long as it isn't mating/brooding season, I'm cool.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Fish? I ain't afraid of no stinkin' fish!

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw some in Sharm,

Here is a pic I got of one,
1170850335_fbe7b0abbc_b.jpg

The DM told us to keep an eye since it was mating/breeding season and to watch if they were circling an area which would mean they were in a protective mode of their nest, which this one was doing. It didn't get aggressive though, I just moved away giving him his space and we both went on our merry way.

Got bitten by a little picasso trigger which must have been nesting in the boat channel by a resort in Fiji. It charged at me, and I turned to swim away, but obviously not fast enough as it whizzed back and bit me hard on the nuckle. A squeak behind me told me it had got my dive buddy too. We both had horseshoe-shaped bitemarks on our hands for days after. Most of the others at the resort had been attacked by the evil demon fish of doom. Far scarier than sharks!

I like them :)

They are common in my area and I have seen divers occasionally bitten and injured. The titans are characters and I am honoured that I get the occasional chance to see them in action.

Photos taken in April '08 at Ko Bon, Thailand.

Attachments

• Trigger1.jpg
    Trigger1.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Trigger2.jpg
    Trigger2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 341
I've had one of the little ones charge me when he didn't appreciate having his photo taken (I guess I should have asked first!). I've seen quite a few of the big ones, but have left well alone. I don't fancy getting charged by something that's almost as big as I am!

I met mine in the Red Sea.

I think he followed me home and killed my cat.

Seriously though- he followed me (my flippers) closely nipping away for a great distance but was always repulsed by the sweep of my flashlight beam.

I fear them the most!

I witnessed a Titan attack my husband twice in quick succession. I even had my video camera in hand and was sooooo startled I did not even think about filming. I just kept saying to myself be prepared to use all that rescue training as I really thought I would need it. Fortunately my hubby was just a little stunned and not hurt. Let me tell you I have dove with hundreds of sharks and I love them, but those titans I have a real honest fear of.

We had never encountered them before and when we got on board and shared the incident with others, the DM said "Oh sorry we forgot to tell you about them." Another reason to be responsible for yourself and do your destination homework before entering the water!!

Laine

These are the most aggressive fish I have seen. I was bitten repeatedly even after kicking it with my fins. She drew blood. All I could think of is 'I am bleeding in Papua New Guinea where sharks are regularly trolling the water. Aaaaagh!' The Titan queens are the worst when nesting. Their territory is a tornado/cone shaped area above the nest. You think you are getting away from them by swimming up and away - instead you are getting deeper into their territory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom