Is the traveling instructor a reasonable goal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casey13

Registered
Reaction score
I am 22, Canadian. Looking to do an instructor Scuba internship in Thailand. I am wondering if my goals are reasonable or are pipe dreams. What I am looking to get out of this is a great time in Thailand having fun doing something i enjoy and meeting new people. I am not looking to save any money while working as an instructor. I may work in Thailand for a bit but eventually i would like to use my OWSI to be able to travel to other countrys and get jobs. Once again not looking to save money, I want to be able to fund my living expenses while i am in these countrys and then move on to another.

So I guess what i am wondering is, is it possible to use my OWSI to actually be able to get jobs in new locations every say 4-8 months? (I wont be picky with where i go). Also will i be able to make enough money that I will be able to afford to live (not expensively) I am prepared to have to use my savings to get from one place to another but I don't want to be dipping into it too often. (I don't have much I'm only 22). And one final question. I don't mind hard work and long hours but will i have at least some free time so that I am able to see the country i am in and not just the waters.

Not looking for a career, more of a way to fuel my travels doing something I love.

Would love to hear what you guys think on this matter. I tried piecing it together from the posts, and i think i have a good general idea. But some specific responses would really help me.

Thank you all.

- Casey MacDermid:confused:

I would not me inclined to hire an instructor who was only planning on staying 4-8 mos. I think most employers would be looking for at least a 1 year commitment. Additional skills are also valuable. High value skills would include.
1. multiple languages
2. boat handling
3.diesel mechanic
4.small engine mechanic
5.cook
6.retail experience
7.computer skills
8.general handyman

Its not impossible, if you're lucky you'll break even and maybe make enough from 1 posting to afford the air fare to the next.

Languages are a must - try to be able to teach in at least 3.

As for free time, in lots of places forget it in the busy season. You can expect to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 3-4 months. Only alternative to that is to go independent but obviously there is less stability in the job doing that.

If you become a naui instructor Norwegian cruise lines often have ads looking for personnel for their ships and the island they have. You could travel some with base of sorts. Make money for year or so and move on.

Its not impossible, if you're lucky you'll break even and maybe make enough from 1 posting to afford the air fare to the next.

Even is all I'm looking for, I would be prepared to pay the money to get from one destination to another. Its the living i would want instructing to cover.

Because i am looking to travel but i would also love to do the instructor thing, but im not sure if it will work out that way, and would my 10 thousand or whatever be better spent paying for something else.

thank you guys for the posts so far.

If you become a naui instructor Norwegian cruise lines often have ads looking for personnel for their ships and the island they have. You could travel some with base of sorts. Make money for year or so and move on.

This may be a dumb question. But i am still naive to the world of diving. How does one become a Naui Instructor, is that like an alternative to Padi?

This may be a dumb question. But i am still naive to the world of diving. How does one become a Naui Instructor, is that like an alternative to Padi?

There are hundreds of scuba agencies around the world. PADI is just one of those. NAUI is another one.

However, world wide spread NAUI is pretty much unheard of in europe and large chunks of the world so a naui instructor would find limited employment options. PADI on the other hand is pretty much everywhere so a PADI instructor is easier tofind a job.

Lots of instructors (including myself) are qualified to teach for a few agencies to give more options.

There are hundreds of scuba agencies around the world. PADI is just one of those. NAUI is another one.

However, world wide spread NAUI is pretty much unheard of in europe and large chunks of the world so a naui instructor would find limited employment options. PADI on the other hand is pretty much everywhere so a PADI instructor is easier tofind a job.

Lots of instructors (including myself) are qualified to teach for a few agencies to give more options.
Another consideration is whether you are ALLOWED to work in another country and, if sponsored by some business, how long your visa will last.

It's one thing to get a travel visa for a limited stay but quite another to get a 'green card' allowing you to work for wages or anything else.

Been to Phuket (and the Similan Islands) and loved it. The German business owner of the liveaboard was married to a Thai local but still had to make annual treks to Malaysia to renew his visa to live with his wife. An odd requirement and perhaps not universally true.

In broad terms, a 'green card' will only be issued if the business can show that there are no qualified locals.

Richard

At 22 this is a good dream. If you want it I hope you get it. But, to get from where you are now (I think I'm right - 0 or maybe O/W only experiance) it will take the better part of your $10,000 or even more to get to the Instructor level ( training,equipment, dives). Good luck.

Another consideration is whether you are ALLOWED to work in another country and, if sponsored by some business, how long your visa will last.

Sort of. In large parts of the world seasonal workers including divers work illegally. Unofficially, cash in hand. Pretty much the entire med is like that.
Thailand used to be ok with border runs on a tourist visa but that is being restricted now but still a large % of them work "unofficially".
Same for Egypt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom