Pool Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Hi All,
I knew a guy who had his own year 'round business diving swimming pools doing inspections for leaking water, installing patches, etc.

Anyone know whats involved in pool patching, and where I can obtain more info, books, etc. on how inground pools get patched, etc.

This guy had SO much business, he and his bro's business turned into two full time year-round positions just diving.

What a way to make pocket money AND keep diving year 'round!

Hi Scoobie

Would you log something like that?

I can see new PADI specialties on the horizon. Would you need a Solo diver specialty to avoid a buddy dive? Pool Diver cert card? Advanced Pool Diver? For the Instructors in the house. Master Pool Diver Trainer (MPDT)?

Special equipment. Spare Air? Safety Sausage? Special Deco tables? Shower cap to avoid having your hair turn green?

So many questions, so few answers.:boom:

at Luvdiving's response. ROFL

In all honesty, I have never heard of such a thing. I am very curious to see if anyone else has.

I wonder if you would get bored of it after awhile? Pools kind of look all the same, on the sides, on the bottom, unless they are fancy and have mosaics or colors? :)

If you get a business started, let me know. Maybe part-time would be fun!! Good luck!

Here in Missouri. Keeps eleven employees in winter and twenty seven in sumer.
I don't know how the repairs are done but I can tell you about the equipment.

Hallmac

My parents had their pool patched a few times and I observed the process.

In order for the repairs to be made, the pool had to be drained. This may have been a function of the size of the leak, perhaps small holes can be patched without draining out the water. I think the big problem would be locating the leak in the first place.

I would venture to say that it is a fairly lucrative business, my parents had incessant problems with leaks, tears, etc.

The first thing to do is run, don't walk to your local mental health center for proper evaluation. I've done it a couple of times but won't do it again unless it is for a real good friend. It is the most BORING thing I have ever done. I spent a couple of hours crawling around a pool looking for a leak by trying to watch for food coloring to be sucked out of a hole in the pool liner. There are machines now that do the job so much better now. Stick to something exciting like snail races or grass growing contest.

Lead_Carrier,
I'm not looking to get into this for excitement, but for pocket money...the guy I know who was doing this was making a ton of money!

WOW!!! imagine the time you could pull off a tank if the pool had to be drained first!! cool

I'm with Lead Carrier, this is not a glamorous job. My neighbor knew I was certified and asked me to check his pool since it was leaking profusely without any noticeable holes or tears. Come to find out he had twenty or thirty leaks because he attached additional lead weight to his cleaning fitting to help keep it on the bottom. The lead caused pinhole leaks which were only visible from 6" or less away. I had to stay down forever! The patching itself of a vinyl pool is easy. You can buy a kit or make your own from bulk materials. Like any job this would become a drudge. Are you sure you want to turn an exciting hobby into work? I suggest you volunteer to work for your friend cheap or free to get more experience before jumping off to start your own business.

Back
Top Bottom