AAUS Research Diver Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I thought this might interest folks:

Swimming Evaluation

Applicant shall successfully perform the following tests, or equivalent, in the presence of the Diving Safety Officer, or an examiner approved by the Diving Safety Officer.

1. Swim underwater without swim aids for a distance of 25 yards without surfacing.
  2. Swim 400 yards in less than 12 minutes without swim aids.
  3. Tread water for 10 minutes, or 2 minutes without the use of hands, without swim aids.
  4. Without the use of swim aids, transport another person of equal size a distance of 25 yards in the water.
Scuba Training

Practical Training

At the completion of training, the trainee must satisfy the Diving Safety Officer or the instructor of their ability to perform the following, as a minimum, in a pool or in sheltered water:

1. Enter water with full equipment.
  2. Clear face mask.
  3. Demonstrate air sharing, including both buddy breathing and the use of alternate air source, as both donor and recipient, with and without a face mask.
  4. Demonstrate ability to alternate between snorkel and scuba while kicking.
  5. Demonstrate understanding of underwater signs and signals.
  6. Demonstrate simulated in-water mouth-to- mouth resuscitation.
  7. Rescue and transport, as a diver, a passive simulated victim of an accident.
  8. Demonstrate ability to remove and replace equipment while submerged.
  9. Demonstrate watermanship ability, which is acceptable to the instructor.
Written Examination

Before completing training, the trainee must pass a written examination that demonstrates knowledge of at least the following:

1. Function, care, use, and maintenance of diving equipment.
  2. Physics and physiology of diving.
  3. Diving regulations and precautions.
  4. Near-shore currents and waves.
  5. Dangerous marine animals.
  6. Emergency procedures, including buoyant ascent and ascent by air sharing.
  7. Currently accepted decompression procedures.
  8. Demonstrate the proper use of dive tables.
  9. Underwater communications.
  10. Aspects of freshwater and altitude diving.
  11. Hazards of breath-hold diving and ascents.
  12. Planning and supervision of diving operations.
  13. Diving hazards.
  14. Cause, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of the following: near drowning, air embolism, carbon dioxide excess, squeezes, oxygen poisoning, nitrogen narcosis, exhaustion and panic, respiratory fatigue, motion sickness, decompression sickness, hypothermia, and hypoxia/anoxia.
Open Water Evaluation

1. The trainee must satisfy an instructor, approved by the Diving Safety Officer, of their ability to perform at least the following in open water:
  2. Surface dive to a depth of 10 feet in open water without scuba.
  3. Demonstrate proficiency in air sharing as both donor and receiver.
  4. Enter and leave open water or surf, or leave and board a diving vessel, while wearing scuba gear.
  5. Kick on the surface 400 yards while wearing scuba gear, but not breathing from the scuba unit.
  6. Demonstrate judgment adequate for safe diving.
  7. Demonstrate, where appropriate, the ability to maneuver efficiently in the environment, at and below the surface.
  8. Complete a simulated emergency swimming ascent.
  9. Demonstrate clearing of mask and regulator while submerged.
  10. Demonstrate ability to achieve and maintain neutral buoyancy while submerged.
  11. Demonstrate techniques of self-rescue and buddy rescue.
  12. Navigate underwater.
  13. Plan and execute a dive.
  14. Successfully complete 5 open water dives for a minimum total time of 3 hours, of which 1-1/2 hours cumulative bottom time must be on scuba. No more than 3 training dives shall be made in any 1 day.
This results in a Scientific Diver-In-Training Permit, which signifies that a diver has completed and been certified as at least an open water diver through an internationally recognized certifying agency or scientific diving program, and has the knowledge skills and experience equivalent to that gained by successful completion of training.

A diver holding a Scientific Diver-In-Training Permit may be upgraded to the status of a Scientific Diver after successfully completing, under the supervision of a buddy designated by the DSO, 12 logged training dives to 30 feet, for a minimum total bottom time of 4 hours

Many programs skip the Diver-in-Training step and run a course that includes sufficient water work to result in Research Diver status.

Are these programs usually done through colleges/universities?

Are these programs usually done through colleges/universities?

Yes, colleges that have a research diving program as opposed to those that just offer scuba through recreation or p.e. classes.

Things have changed since I did mine. in addition to the 25 yards on one breath, we had to do an underwater swim of 50 yards on no more than two (maybe it was three) breaths.

I figure that I really learned the art and science of scuba diving in my research diver class at UCSB and my divemaster course. Lifeguarding did help out on the swimming portion.

Humm... I think I skipped a few of those. Mainly items 6 and 8 in the open water evaluation.

Yes, colleges that have a research diving program as opposed to those that just offer scuba through recreation or p.e. classes.

Things have changed since I did mine. in addition to the 25 yards on one breath, we had to do an underwater swim of 50 yards on no more than two (maybe it was three) breaths.

I figure that I really learned the art and science of scuba diving in my research diver class at UCSB and my divemaster course. Lifeguarding did help out on the swimming portion.
It was three breaths. Was Dennis the DSO back then?

hmmm....mine requirements involved a bit more than those

Texas A&M AAUS Requirements

swim test...

A. Swim underwater for a distance of 25 yards (23 m) without surfacing.

B. Swim underwater without fins for a distance of 50 yards (45 m), surfacing not more than 4 times
during the swim (note: A and B may be combined as long as no breaths are taken during the first
25-yard swim).

C. Swim 500 yards (460 m) in 15 minutes or less, without swim aids, using any stroke.

D. Within 10 minutes of completing C, demonstrate the ability to swim in a face down position using
a snorkel and fins, but not arms, a distance of 500 yards (460 m) in 10 minutes or less.

E. Demonstrate the ability, using snorkel and fins to tow an unconscious diver 200 yards/ (184 m) in
7 minutes or less.

F. Surface dive without fins to a depth of 10 ft (3 m), recover a swimmer, and tow the swimmer 50
yards (45 m) at the surface.

G. Without fins, simulate rescue of a struggling swimmer.

H. Tread water, without swim aids, 10 minutes, of these 2 minutes without the use of hands

open water test (must pass before being allowed to participate in the course)..

A. Clear face mask and snorkel.

B. Demonstrate the ability to remove and replace equipment while submerged, including weight belt.

C. Rescue and transport, in full scuba gear, a simulated victim of a diving accident.

D. Enter the water with full equipment by jumping in feet first and rolling in backwards.

E. Demonstrate proficiency in buddy breathing and use of an alternate air source with and without a
mask while seated, swimming horizontally, and swimming vertically.

F. Demonstrate the ability to alternate snorkel and scuba while swimming in the deep end of a pool.

G. Demonstrate proper use of personal flotation equipment.

H. Demonstrate the ability to enter the pool with all equipment in his/her arms and don the
equipment on the bottom of the pool.

I. Demonstrate the ability to use an alternate air source while ascending from the bottom.

J. Demonstrate knowledge and ability to make an emergency swimming ascent horizontally in a
pool for a distance of 40 feet (12 m), and vertically from a depth of 10 feet (3 m), with no
interruption of the air supply.

K. Demonstrate an understanding of underwater signs and signals.

Written examination on theory...

A. Function, care, use and maintenance of diving equipment.

B. Physics and physiology of diving.

C. Diving regulations and precautions.

D. Near-shore currents and waves.

E. Dangerous marine animals.

F. Emergency procedures including buoyant ascent and ascent by air sharing.

G. Currently accepted decompression procedures.

H. Demonstrate proper use of dive tables.

I. Underwater communications.

J. Aspects of freshwater and altitude diving.

K. Hazards of breath-hold diving and ascents.

L. Planning and supervision of diving operations.

M. Diving hazards.

N. Cause, symptoms, treatment and prevention of:

1. Near drowning

2. Air embolism

3. Carbon dioxide excess

4. Exhaustion

5. Respiratory fatigue

6. Oxygen poisoning

7. Nitrogen narcosis

8. Decompression sickness

9. Carbon monoxide poisoning

10. Squeeze

11. Motion sickness

12. Hypothermia

13. Hypoxia/anoxia

14. Diving hazards

O. Knowledge of no-decompression repetitive dives, decompression tables, and no-decompression
tables and procedures.

open water scuba test...

A. Surface dive to a depth of about 15 feet (4.5 m) without scuba.

B. Demonstrate clearing of mask and regulator while submerged.

C. Remove equipment as directed by instructor and replace equipment at a depth greater than 15
feet (4.5 m).

D. Enter and leave open water or surf wearing full scuba gear and leave and board a diving vessel
while wearing scuba gear.

E. Snorkel 400 yards (375 m) with breathing apparatus in position, but not breathing from the scuba
unit.

F. Compute his/her own surface air consumption rate in cubic feet/minute for each training dive.

G. Demonstrate the ability to achieve and maintain neutral buoyancy at the surface and below the
surface, navigate underwater and demonstrate techniques of self rescue and buddy rescue.

H. Demonstrate the ability to buddy breathe while swimming near the bottom and ascending from a
depth of at least 20 feet (6 m).

I. Demonstrate knowledge and ability to make an emergency swimming ascent from a depth of 20
feet with no interruption of the air supply.

J. Demonstrate knowledge and ability to make a simulated out-of-air ascent using his/her buddy's
octopus regulator.

K. Complete 8 dives for a total bottom time of 4 hours at a depth of not greater than 30 feet (10 m),
accompanied by or supervised by a diving instructor designated by the Diving Control Board. No
more than 3 dives shall be made in any one day. Judgment consistent with safe diving practices
should be demonstrated at all times, both above and below water.

certification levels....

5.31 Scientific Diver-in-Training

Divers who have completed the requirements as outlined in Section IV, an Oxygen Administration
course, a minimum of 40 hours of training and a minimum of 12 open water dives for a total bottom
time of 6 hours since completion of training shall be issued a Scientific Diver-in-Training permit. No
more than 3 of these dives may be made in one day.

5.32 Scientific Diver Certification

Divers-in-training may advance to Scientific Diver Certification by logging at least twelve (12)
research/training dives for a total bottom time of 6 hours, supervised by a scientific diver. No more
than 3 of these dives may be made in one day. To obtain Scientific Diver Certification, divers must
hold at MINIMUM an Open Water rating (or equivalent) from NAUI, PADI, YMCA, or equivalent
program, and current First Aid and CPR, and Oxygen Administration certificates. All certified
scientific divers shall have completed a total of 100 hours of classroom and practical in water training.

All this was from the TAMUG Dive Manual....simply because I cannot remember everything I did through that course. And none of that involves the actual scientific techniques learned also.

Since the professor of the TAMUG program is Dr. Tom Iliffe we did a LOT of cavern training also....lots of reel and bouyancy work.

Not to mention we also did a nitrox course and the NAUI Master Scuba diver course during the same time.

*Swim 400 yards in <12 minutes, no fins, first 200 yards completed freestyle is recommended
*Swim underwater 25 yards one breath, no fins, no push off
*Tread water and/or float for 15 minutes
*15 ft. surface dive to retrieve object
*Swim 400 yards in <8 minutes with MFS

- Those are the physical standards for my research diving course. I'm in the University of Miami's program right now, and will hopefully be authorized by mid-May.

hmmm....mine requirements involved a bit more than those ...

Since the professor of the TAMUG program is Dr. Tom Iliffe we did a LOT of cavern training also....lots of reel and bouyancy work.

Not to mention we also did a nitrox course and the NAUI Master Scuba diver course during the same time.
Tom's really good, you got great training. The AAUS requirements I posted are minimums, my own are a bit more stringent also. I'll append the differences. One of my intents for the NAUI Master Diver cert was to have a level approriate to folks like you.

Thal's course:

Swimming Evaluation

Applicant shall successfully perform the following tests, or equivalent, in the presence of the Diving Safety Officer, or an examiner approved by the Diving Safety Officer.

1. Swim underwater without swim aids for a distance of 25 yards without surfacing.
  2. Swim 450 yards in less than 12 minutes without swim aids.
  3. Survival swim for 10 minutes, without swim aids.
  4. Without the use of swim aids, transport another person of equal size a distance of 25 yards in the water.
Scuba Training

Practical Training

At the completion of training, the trainee must satisfy the Diving Safety Officer or the instructor of their ability to perform the following, in full gear, including wetsuit and three-finger mitts in a pool or in sheltered water:

1. Enter water with full equipment.
  2. Clear face mask.
  3. Demonstrate air sharing, including both buddy breathing and the use of alternate air source, as both donor and recipient, with and without a face mask.
  4. Demonstrate ability to alternate between snorkel and scuba while kicking.
  5. Demonstrate understanding of underwater signs and signals.
  6. Demonstrate simulated in-water mouth-to-snorkel resuscitation.
  7. Rescue and transport, as a diver, a passive simulated victim of an accident.
  8. Demonstrate ability to remove rig, mask and weightbelt, surface safety then regain the bottom and replace all equipment.
  9. Demonstrate ability to remove rig, mask and weightbelt, surface safety then regain the bottom and replace all equipment while buddy breathing, except for the ascent and descent.
  10. Complete current circuit swim in required time.
  11. Demonstrate watermanship ability, which is acceptable to the instructor.
Written Examination

Before completing training, the trainee must pass a written examination that demonstrates knowledge of at least the following:

1. Function, care, use, and maintenance of diving equipment.
  2. Physics and physiology of diving.
  3. Diving regulations and precautions.
  4. Near-shore currents and waves.
  5. Dangerous marine animals.
  6. Emergency procedures, including buoyant ascent and ascent by air sharing.
  7. Currently accepted decompression procedures.
  8. Demonstrate the proper use of USN, NOAA, Huggins and any other dive tables current approved by the Diving Control Board.
  9. Underwater communications.
  10. Aspects of freshwater and altitude diving.
  11. Hazards of breath-hold diving and ascents.
  12. Planning and supervision of diving operations.
  13. Diving hazards.
  14. Cause, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of the following: near drowning, air embolism, carbon dioxide excess, squeezes, oxygen poisoning, nitrogen narcosis, exhaustion and panic, respiratory fatigue, motion sickness, decompression sickness, hypothermia, and hypoxia/anoxia.
Open Water Evaluation

The trainee must satisfy an instructor, approved by the Diving Safety Officer, of their ability to perform at least the following in open water:
  1. Surface dive to a depth of 15 feet in open water without scuba.
  2. Demonstrate proficiency in buddy breathing and auxillary air sharing as both donor and receiver.
  3. Enter and leave open water through heavy surf while wearing scuba gear.
  4. Leave and board a diving vessel, while wearing scuba gear.
  5. Kick on the surface 450 yards while wearing scuba gear, breathing from a snorkel.
  6. Demonstrate judgment adequate for safe diving.
  7. Demonstrate, where appropriate, the ability to maneuver efficiently in the environment, at and below the surface.
  8. Complete an emergency swimming ascent from 30 feet.
  9. Demonstrate clearing of mask and regulator while submerged.
  10. Demonstrate ability to achieve and maintain neutral buoyancy while submerged.
  11. Demonstrate techniques of self-rescue and buddy rescue.
  12. Navigate underwater
  13. Perfoorm a Bail out from the deck of a small boat.
  14. Demonstrate ability to remove rig, mask and weightbelt, surface safety then regain the bottom and replace all equipment.
  15. Demonstrate ability to remove rig, mask and weightbelt, surface safety then regain the bottom and replace all equipment while buddy breathing, except for the ascent and descent.
  16. Execute a complete rescue of an unconscious diver from the bottom, into the shore and up to the parking area, providing proper ventilation all the way.
  17. Plan and execute a dive.
  18. Sucessfully complete 12 open water dives for a minimum total time of 4 hours on scuba. No more than 2 training scuba dives shall be made in any 1 day.

The AAUS requirements I posted are minimums, my own are a bit more stringent also.

I think it's good to exceed the standards rather than just use the minimum requirements.

If there is no push off in the 25 yards underwater are they falling into the water off of the deck?

Back
Top Bottom