Dive Master Swim Test in Meters or Yards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

Are the PADI 400 swim and 800 snorkle tests measured in meters or yards? They seem to be referenced both ways on Scuba Board.

Does it depend on what pool or location you are using?

Depends on where you take it -- in metric countries, it's was meters, in the US, it was in yards. My experience, anyway. But as la diver said, the difference is about 3 inches per yard more. No biggie.

If you swim in a Olympic sized pool, 400 meters is 16 laps width wise. 400 yards is slightly less than 15 laps. The difference is 30 seconds for me. This is significant for timed swims.

Don't know but I wouldn't think it would be much of an issue, meters or yards, difference of about 3 inches.

Yea... but that's "3 inches PER YARD'... 3 inches times 800 yards is... 2400 inches... that's an extra 100 feet!!! (... or 33.3 yards)... :rofl3:

But seriously... if you can do 800 yards in a reasonable time you'll probably find that the small variance in distance isn't really an issue... but... from my own DM swim test... I did 800 yards...

PADI’s DiverMaster Instructor Guide allows the test to be either yards or meters, but has different time requirements,

Hello:

Are the PADI 400 swim and 800 snorkle tests measured in meters or yards? They seem to be referenced both ways on Scuba Board.

Does it depend on what pool or location you are using?

It is up to the instructor. If you are doing PADI, the instructor manual gives you the time ranges for both meters and yards. It doesn't matter which is used as long as you are scored appropriately. I would imagine any other agency in both the US and worldwide would have the ranges for both.

is the swim in 10 to 12 minutes for 2 points for 400 yards or 400 meters?
400 yards. For 400 meters, you earn 2 points if you do it in 11 to 13 minutes.

What exactly are the swim tests?

I see that there is a 400m in 12 minutes. It is just 16 (half-olympic) pool length. No big deal. What else is there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom