Survival Kit for Basic Divers on SB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Someone pointed this out to me. I thought it was decent information for anyone posting dive-related questions outside the Basic Scuba Discussions area.

It is not meant to start trouble, only meant to help others understand that this is the Internet and many are far more brave with the wall of "anonymous" between themselves and other humans. The MODs are usually good at spotting and handling most of the issues. Understand before MODs get to the offending post that they are there. The "Report Post" button is a good friend to have on the board.

With this information, I hope new divers will actually venture outside the Basic Scuba Discussions area with confidence that it is not them personally, but stick with the board and don't be offended. Those offending posts will be dealt with soon.

Here is your "survival" kit - also serves to prevent getting flamed on SB outside this area. :

• Split fins will drag you into the dark abyss - get paddle fins and you may get by; jets you're 200% sure you'll survive the dive.
  • Snorkels will kill you - entanglement hazard (some must be mistaken them for choking anacondas
    confused.gif
    )
  • Piston regs freeze right away upon contact with any liquid substance - diaphragm regs OTOH are designed specifically for scuba diving
    shakehead.gif
  • Jacket BCD will crush your rib cage and cause cardiac arrest - get BP/W ASAP and don't go anywhere near any body of water (even swimming pools) until you do so; some weirdo might push you into the water and you'll be doomed
    nonononono.gif
  • AL tanks are good as weather balloons; back in the day, some maniac decided for no apparent reason that he could go dive with one, some crude fellows (to their ignorance) followed his suit since - DON'T DO THAT! steel is only the recognized metal to be used in cylinders production; all other are blasphemes and only provoke the wrath of God :fear:.
  • If you see anyone in the water with a mask on their forehead; DON'T PANIC - STOP - THINK - ACT: inform the EMS, and immediately jump in for rescue.
  • If your primary 2nd hose length is less than what is required to be used as hookah system; then be fore warned that you are endangering your buddies life and in case of fatality; his widow will sue you, which may result in significant financial loss
    11.gif
  • If you do not own a drysuit preferably WITH A PEE VALVE; we strongly suggest that you use the "email opt out" option found in your profile page
    deal.gif
  • Spare Air, and small ponys definitely, maybe, fatal if you ever have to actually use them.:depressed:
  • Flip Fins are an entanglement hazard that will keep you from reaching a buddy, the surface and/or your Spare Air:confused:
feel free to add any points I've missed

The above is mostly in jest :D But, a number of new divers have been accosted with one, or several of the above on their first few posts outside the Basic Scuba Discussions area and been turned off to both this board and diving for good.

Personally, I'd rather not see that happen. I like diving and I like divers! :cool2:

Last edited:
Dry suit? Pee valve? I thought the idea was to pee in your wetsuit for warmth... and that oh so refreshing aroma

Dry suit? Pee valve? I thought the idea was to pee in your wetsuit for warmth... and that oh so refreshing aroma
Now see, that's just the kind of question that will get the sharks circling for the kill. :wink:

All you need is a little more knowledge than your instruction has given you and you'll be fine.

Like this (Others may think of different ways of explaining it, but this will give you a general working knowledge):

A dry suit or drysuit provides thermal insulation or passive thermal protection to the wearer while immersed in water, and is worn by divers, boaters, water sports enthusiasts, and others who work or play in or near cold water. The dry suit protects the whole human body, except the head, hands, and possibly the feet. Dry suits are used typically in these cases:
  • where the water temperature is below 15Ž°C (60Ž°F).
  • for extended immersion in water above 15Ž°C (60Ž°F), where discomfort would be experienced by a wet suit user.
  • with an integral helmet, boots, and gloves for personal protection when working in and around hazardous liquids.
The main difference between dry suits and wet suits is that dry suits are designed to prevent water entering. This generally allows better insulation in dry suits making them more suitable for use in cold water. Dry suits can be uncomfortably hot in warm or hot air. They are generally more expensive than wet suits.
---

There. I little bit of knowledge, and you avoid the sharks! :wink:

Finally... one place for all the 'right' information... wheres GI3 when you need him...

Your forgot Spare Air, and small ponys definitely, maybe, fatal. Flip Fins are an entanglement hazard.

Finally... one place for all the 'right' information... wheres GI3 when you need him...
Not all the "right" information my friend. Just enough to keep these divers safer while they dive the Internet Ocean :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom