Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: non-releasable pocket weights

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Question non-releasable pocket weights

Black Diamond and other Auqualung models have non-releasable weight pockets on the back of the BC near the tank band.
    Aqualung "strongly" recommends using block weights versus soft shot weights in the non-releaseable pockets.
    Question: Curious..........Why would it matter?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    Block weights are easier to slip in and out. But in all reality I never saw much difference using either.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Depending on how the weight pockets are designed, it might be possible for smaller "soft" weights (containing lead shot) to slip right out of a "secured" pocket.

On the Aqualung BCDs, the trim weight pockets are usually closed by a plastic fastex clip. I have known of a couple of divers who had small "soft" weights slip out the side or through a hole in the bottom. This can happen with 1 or 2 lb. soft weights. I've found that 3 lb. soft weights will stay in just fine. YMMV. Using larger hard weights virtually eliminates this possibility.

I wouldn't use long, cylindrical "bullet" weights in the trim pockets for the same reason. They could slip out.
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Thanks ,Jim. The manual makes the statement specifically, so I thought there might be some obscure reason I was not aware of.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I will be using 3# sea pearl weights, one in each side for a total of 6#.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    block weights are cheap enough. Better safe than sorry, perhaps.

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Small soft weights can fall out of those pockets. Hard weights won't deform and therefore won't squeeze enough to fall through the holes.

My wife BC has similar pockets, and we've never had a problem providing we choose big enough soft weights. 4 pounder and above: fine. Two 2 pounders: not fine.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    Thanks I was not aware of the design on those. My post was in reference to the trim pockets on my old Probe. My instructor recommended block as well but I used soft all the time.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here