Scary ending to a great night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a night scuba dive tonight off Key Largo with Silent World. When we surfaced about 50' behind the boat it was just in time to see him start the engines and take off! It was more than a little unnerving. I wasn't able to hail the boat with my Lifeline emergency radio, either.

Turns out the other buddy pair on the boat had signaled him they were in trouble so he went to rescue them. He had turned his radio down so he could better communicate with the distressed pair.

It wasn't long before he came back and got us. However, I lost my radio :( I thought I had clipped it back onto a D-RING with my suicide clip. Operator error, I suppose

The other buddy pair was fine, but there was quite a bit of current tonight. They had drifted way too far from the boat to get back to it.

Interesting end to an otherwise fun dive. I'm doing another night dive tomorrow night!

Lesson learned: Need to find a better way to secure the replacement when I get one.

Most important fact: all came home safe :)

1. A bolt-snap, cave-tied, to a device is pretty secure.

2. Clip and confirm. Always

3. Clip items onto a D-ring inside a pocket (BCD or on exposure suit) is double reassurance.

Did a night scuba dive tonight off Key Largo with Silent World. When we surfaced about 50' behind the boat it was just in time to see him start the engines and take off! It was more than a little unnerving. I wasn't able to hail the boat with my Lifeline emergency radio, either.

Turns out the other buddy pair on the boat had signaled him they were in trouble so he went to rescue them. He had turned his radio down so he could better communicate with the distressed pair.

It wasn't long before he came back and got us. However, I lost my radio :( I thought I had clipped it back onto a D-RING with my suicide clip. Operator error, I suppose

The other buddy pair was fine, but there was quite a bit of current tonight. They had drifted way too far from the boat to get back to it.

Interesting end to an otherwise fun dive. I'm doing another night dive tomorrow night!

Lesson learned: Need to find a better way to secure the replacement when I get one.

One of the problems with suicide clips is that they can get stiff and corroded and stick in the open position which leaves them vulnerable to falling off. I don't think they are quite the safety hazard some make them out to be, but they aren't as secure as a bolt snap.

One of the problems with suicide clips is that they can get stiff and corroded and stick in the open position which leaves them vulnerable to falling off. I don't think they are quite the safety hazard some make them out to be, but they aren't as secure as a bolt snap.

That can happen with bolt snaps too, especially if you get (cheap) ones that don't have an SS spring... but I agree, better a BS than a SC

That can happen with bolt snaps too, especially if you get (cheap) ones that don't have an SS spring... but I agree, better a BS than a SC

I think the nature of the suicide clip makes it far more likely to happen though. A bolt snap requires that you actually open it up when you attach it to something and if it is corroded or full of dirt you will probably notice. A suicide clip on the other hand is usually attached by just brushing it against your D-ring. If it stays open chances are you'll never notice.

I would suggest mountain climbing carabiners, they work the same as the clip you used but are larger and it is easier to confirm they are closed by feel, even with gloves on. They also make a version with a locking gate if that is something you would want.

Those $300 radios seem pretty snazzy.

You got a strobe light, one that you could elevate on an SMB? Everybody have one? Looks like O'Hare when everyone switches on.

You got one of them fancy 550 Paracord survival bracelets? That 20' of 550 cord can come in real handy when trying to keep your group together- bobbing around on the surface for what might be hours.

Have a plan, but have a back-up, then another.

A good logbook experience.

Wow, we were just with him on Wednesday. That would be really scary. We have SMBs and mirrors but maybe we should get a radio. We have been on large boats where they call out the names from a manifest and smaller ones where they did not.

Glad your back and curious if your in the pic he updated to his FB page. He was reporting some great dive conditions overall in the Keys this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom