trim weight location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Roo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hello everyone and thank you in advance. I've got a zeagle bcd which has two tank straps and on the lower tank strap are two pockets for trim weights. i've always used them and had very good buoyancy and no issues. however, i was just looking at it this evening and thinking, i have the traditional weights on the front which are on my hips and so would the trim weight be better located on the higher tank strap? to be honest they're only about 8 inches away from each other so expect the effects to be minimal, but it could improve my pitch etc etc. so in short, is trim weight better situated higher up the bcd?

Keel weights or other, higher mounted trim weights? It's worth a try, but experiment somewhere other than a "let's gear up and go" situation.

Instead of involving that tank strap with all the inherent hassle of it being a difficult removal, consider a 1.5" wide heavy duty Velcro "banding strap". Long enough for around the tank, or simply strap it perpendicular, right to the upper tank strap. Easy on, easy off.

They sell them for coiling up lengths of wire or hoses. Easily movable, easily removed. Sometimes that BC can get pretty heavy, a lot easier with weights being simply removed by another fixation system versus dealing with buckles and threading.

Check Amazon or REI, hardware supply, that kind of thing.

if your trim is how you want to be, then no need to change anything. if it isn't and more specifically, if you find yourself feet down, why not try the trim pockets. either way, i like to spread the weight around.

Trim weight is better suited where ever you need it. Trim it higher if you want to shift your Center of Gravity towards head down.
Trim lower if you need to shift CG towards feet down.

If you're trimmed nicely, then there's no need to shift weight placement.

Body position can also effect CG, and should be your primary method of trimming.
Trim weights should not come near equal to the amount of your ditch able weights. You won't be able to dump trim weights easily, remember.
So expect to swim that amount up in a worst case scenario.

thanks for the responses and i agree with the comments "as there is no issues, why move it" so i'm going to leave it where it is.

To prove "there is no issue" you can do a couple of things. In water just stop and see if you're head or feet heavy or if you settle evenly. Second, video! See exactly where your trim is. And remember anyone can have great trim when moving, aim for absolute stillness, just breathing and keeping trim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, keep in mind that you can adjust your trim a fair bit by sliding the tank up (or down) in the BCD. You'll be surprised how MUCH of a difference shifting weight even a few inches can have on your trim.

If you want to be totally sure your trim is peak try acting like a trumpet fish - totally still, exactly vertical, head down. If you can do that you have every weight in exactly the right position and should be able to hover in any position and simply breathe.

If I am using an AL80 I put a 1Kg weight on a cam band that fits near the bottom of tank just above the boot (if one is fitted) this works well for me, add more or less to suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom