7mm wetsuit info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lostlugnut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need some info that the great brain trust should be able to provide. I live in South California just North of LA and the diving here is either 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit. I am looking to purchase a wetsuit and am looking for ideas that will help me out in picking the right one.

I do not want to get into dry at this time so please lets not push this thread down that path.

I dive a BP/W and have been renting suits. I am looking into taking the LA county Advanced Diver Program and by the time I rent the suit for the all the classes I can say it will be better to buy one. I would like something that is fairly easy to don and doff and fairly comfortable to move in without being so cumbersome that I look like the kid on the Christmas story.

I will most likely only be using the suit for a little over 2 years due to obligations that will require me to move in that time frame, so I dont want to pay a fortune for something that I will not be able to get my moneys worth out of.

Do thay make a front up and down zip in that size. I have used 3mm that style and really liked it. and if not does anyone know why not.

Thanks for the help

Chris

I have used a 2-piece farmer with a no-zip pull-over jacket for decades. The cut is similar to what freedivers use with skin inside and Nylon out. That is about as warm a design as you can find providing the fit is correct. Unfortunately, off the shelf freediving suits don’t hold up well for Scuba diving because the material is too compressible and doesn’t tolerate repeated prolonged exposure to higher pressures.

Last edited:
Waterproof makes some really nice wetsuits. If you are not opposed to a used suit the waterproof W1 is a front zip. If you look hard you still might be able to find a new one.

Do thay make a front up and down zip in that size.

I don't see that you've referenced a size.

Questions:

A.) Why front zip?
B.) Are you open to two-piece Farmer John style? They tend to be front zip:

wet10_men.jpg

I have the Aqualung 7mm Aqua Flex.

It has held up very well. I had purchased a 7mm Henderson for my son and it is not holding up anywhere near as well.

The AL is just much better quality.

But now neither get any use as we have both moved to dry suits!

I like Pinnacle Wetsuit. I also have had Aqualung SoFlex, it is also not bad, but I didn't like the integrated hood because my body size doesn't match my hood size.

I have the Aqualung 7mm Aqua Flex.

It has held up very well. I had purchased a 7mm Henderson for my son and it is not holding up anywhere near as well.

The AL is just much better quality.

But now neither get any use as we have both moved to dry suits!

I bought A Henderson suit once, the Neosport or whatever it is called.. the economy line from them. Absolutely TERRIBLE, the suit immediately began to crush and was wrinkled and the seam were unraveling too. Very poor quality rubber and workmanship. After a 4-day trip only. Called up ScubaToys and they accepted a return and issued a credit. It was amazingly bad.

I have a Pinnacle one-piece that has held up well.

Check out the Akona quantum stretch 7 mm fullsuit. It's held up well for me, and it's well priced. Even better on sale. The thing I like best about it is how much it gives compared to other suits. 7 mm can be pretty much like a straitjacket unless it's cut well and has good stretch.

Another suit that I saw in use out in Monterey that seemed very durable and well-matched to California waters is the Hollis semi dry suit.

Good luck with your search!

Lance

Check if Pacific Wilderness has what you want. They have (had?) a store brand 6.5 mm wetsuit with a front zipper that was relatively inexpensive. Consider getting a hooded vest to go with that. They are not terribly close to Palmdale, but if you are going to do ADP you will be driving down close to San Pedro anyway. You will dive a lot in ADP so having your own gear makes sense.

Waterproof makes some really nice wetsuits. If you are not opposed to a used suit the waterproof W1 is a front zip. If you look hard you still might be able to find a new one.

+1 for Waterproof. I own the W1. Very nice suit. Very well made. Warm. I like the front zip but it is a pain to get out of. Probably would do the W2 if I were to do over.

Another suit I would consider is the Bare Elastek.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom